⚠️ • | Chapter Fifty | • ⚠️

{ ⚠️ Trigger Warning: Violence ⚠️ }

| Wednesday ~ February 14th. . .

Sporting a red short-sleeve shirt accompanied with gold jewelry, black jeans, and red short heels, Riley squeezed through tight spaces between the student body that roamed the hallways at class change. She saw Michael earlier this morning but had yet to speak to him. She knew he was wondering why she didn't show up for school this past Monday and Tuesday when she told him she would be here. She had been trying to come up with a suitable lie all day.

"No balloons!" A booming, deep voice bellowed over the loud chatter of students. It belonged to Gordon, one of the upperclassmen assistant principals. Riley heard several students suck their teeth at him and looked over her shoulder just as they stuffed the small heart balloons inside their lockers.

She rolled her eyes at Gordon, sharing her disdain about him as well. It seemed like he preyed on sucking the fun out of everything, especially Valentine's Day, and writing students up over any little action. She had her share of problems with him throughout the last three years; so far, she was able to avoid him this year.

She finally reached the row of grey lockers and carefully balanced two of her textbooks in the bend of her arm as she attempted to unlock her locker. Just as the books were slipping out of her grip, Michelle easily caught them.

"Looks like you needed some help." She smiled as Riley finally popped open her locker.

"Yeah, thanks." She shared her smile before taking the books and placing them in the midst of several other items.

"Sooo," Michelle dragged as she leaned against someone else's locker, looking at her with an expecting stare. "We were looking for you Monday and Tuesday. Is everything okay? How's Casanova?"

Riley chuckled at the nickname and shook her head. "Is that what he's going to be known as?"

Michelle nodded with the same smile. "Yep." She then frowned as she lowered her voice. "Did you tell Javen about keeping the baby?"

"I didn't have to, he already knew. The clinic called right after I left." She said while absentmindedly picking at a peeling sticker on the inside of her locker door. "He was angry, but he didn't do anything."

'Liar.' Her conscience scolded her. 'You probably got that baby killed.'

"Ry, how long do I have to keep this secret? I hate that you're staying with him." Michelle pleaded. She could see the tears building in Riley's eyes and it was killing her on the inside to keep her mouth shut.

"Until I say you can tell."

"And when is that?"

Riley shrugged, receiving a frustrated sigh in response. "What if you were in my shoes? You'd want me to keep your secret, right?"

"Hell no." Michelle shook her head with a disapproving look and folded her arms over her chest. "I'd want you to go tell people that I'm in a dangerous situation and help me get out. Not let me stay."

Riley rolled her glossy eyes. "I would've said the exact same things about a month ago, but now that I'm in this position, it's not that easy Michelle." She focused her gaze on passing students to avoid eye-contact. "He's beyond crazy, controlling, and always 'teaching me lessons'. I tried different things, including trying to sneak out one night, but somehow he's a step ahead."

"So, you're admitting that he's possibly beating you, then?" Michelle asked, only to be answered with silence. "Look, Ry. Yes, you're clumsy. Sometimes borderline accident-prone, but that," she pointed to Riley's splint, "you didn't cause that. That sick bastard did and you keep covering for him, and it's pissing all of us off."