• | Chapter Sixty-Eight | •

~ Michael found himself in the dark corridors of an unfamiliar building; his head whipped in every direction with confusion prominent over his features and his shabby curls tickled his face. He pushed them away as he tried to figure out where the hell he was at and which direction to go.

"Hey, handsome." That sweet, feminine voice suddenly echoed as it coursed through his veins like an electric shock. His heart nearly ceased as he stood frozen. He heard her snivel before suddenly feeling a ghostly touch move through his untamed hair.

"R-Riley?" He stammered. He reached up and touched his head, but didn't feel anything. The ghostly touch moved to his cheek, then down to his left hand.

"I'm so sorry this happened to you." She whispered close to his ear. He could feel her warm breath brush against his skin.

He quickly whipped around, but didn't see anyone. "Riley!" He called out for her as he quickly moved through the maze of corridors only to end up right back where he started. "Ry, where are you?"

He kept moving and the dark halls eventually lightened the further he ventured around until the place resembled the school. Blurred, faceless figures passed him with voices of conversations overlapping each other. He stood in the midst of it all, more confused than ever until it clicked that he was most likely asleep and he was in his subconscious.

He placed his hands on both sides of his face and shook his head. "C'mon, Mike, wake up!"

He briefly squeezed his eyes shut. Then when he opened them, he saw her slim figure slowly sashaying towards him wearing the elegant dress from prom with swirls of black and red, and her long, thick hair framing her striking features. Her brown eyes locked directly onto his own as excitement overtook his body.

"Riley!" Michael grinned just before he eagerly approached her the rest of the way and pulled her into a tight hug. Their bodies pressed flush together.

She quickly responded with her arms wrapped around him as she nestled her face into the crook of his neck. He held her for what seemed like forever until she pulled back and caressed his face. The ghostly touch returned.

"Michael," She softly smiled up at him.

He smiled back, then kissed her with a sense of urgency. A chill swept over him and raised every hair over his body as their lips moved perfectly in sync and he savored her sweet taste. He pulled her as close as he could manage to feel her heartbeat against his, then he slowly ended the kiss to only rest his lips against hers for a brief moment.

"My beautiful girl." He whispered and she giggled. He loved that sound so much. "I missed you."

"I missed you, too."

Just as quickly, her happiness faded and she sported a frown. The usual spark in her eyes dulled, water lined her bottom lids, and she released a shaky sigh. He was confused once more.

"What's wrong?" He asked her.

Her sad eyes looked into his. "This wasn't supposed to happen. You aren't supposed to be here." Tears trickled down her cheeks and dripped from her chin. "I tried to protect you, but he lied to me, Michael. He lied."

"Javen?" He asked. He couldn't remember exactly what Javen had lied to her about.

She nodded and sniveled again. "He told me he wouldn't shoot you if I just went to him. I-I didn't know."

He gently cupped her face and kissed her lips. "Shh, that's not your fault. Don't put that on yourself."

"Come back to me." She pleaded, placing her hands on top of his.