• | Chapter Seventy | •

| That Same Week. . .

The sky was cloudier than usual with big, dark clouds rolling in at moderate speed from the swift wind. Thunder clapped in the far distance as James grabbed his daughter's bags from the trunk of the car. Anika had already approached the front door and greeted her sister while Riley was just beginning to exit the car.

Tia immediately noticed the change in Riley's demeanor. Usually when her niece visited, she was all smiles, bubbly, and energetic. But Riley's face held no emotion and her shoulders sagged.

"Wow, she doesn't really seem like herself since the last time I saw her." Tia said more to herself than to her sister as they stood off to the side on the porch while James went ahead inside. Riley stayed close to the car and absentmindedly snuffed the tip of her old shoes in the dirt.

Anika shook her head with a frown. "She's not. Whatever that evil bastard did to her, it broke her. I'm so angry at myself for not being there for her during it all, not paying attention to the signs, and not taking advantage of spending more time with her. I couldn't even get her to come out of her room most of the time and on the way here, she wouldn't speak to me or her father."

Tia lovingly put a hand on Anika's shoulder and gave it a small squeeze. "I know this isn't what you want to hear, but it's best not to dwell on the past. Riley needs us right now, that's all that matters. I hope she can return to her old self again."

Anika nodded. "Me, too."

The screen door suddenly flew open, startling both Tia and Anika as little six-year-old CiCi rushed out, then hopped down the steps. Despite whatever sour mood Riley felt, a large grin surfaced on her lips as her baby cousin ran toward her with her small arms wide open.

"REE!" CiCi yelled another nickname for Riley in excitement and jumped onto her, wrapping her small limbs around her.

Riley laughed and held her cousin tightly. "Hey, Munchkin! What've you been up to?"

CiCi's excited face disappeared and was replaced with a foul expression. "School. I'm glad summer break is here."

"Yeah? 'Cause we're gonna have so much fun, right?" Riley smiled as she tickled her cousin. CiCi laughed loudly and squirmed. Her gap, where her front baby teeth once were, was prominent.

Tia shared the same smile as her sister as they watched from afar. "Glad to see some things don't change."

James finally stepped back outside and stood next to the two women. He watched as well just before the same smile engulfed him. "I haven't seen her that happy in a while."

Anika shook her head in agreement. "I haven't either. Maybe we should go and let her get settled in."

Riley had set CiCi back onto the ground and her eye-level was right at Riley's small, protruding stomach. She tilted her head to the side and furrowed her thick eyebrows.

"Ree, you having a baby?" She asked.

"Yep." Riley said and reached down to take her hand. She noticed the small frown on her cousin's face as they walked slowly to the front porch. "What is it?"

"I thought I was your baby."

Riley chuckled at her hint of jealousy. "You still are, even after the baby gets here. You know you'll always be my little Munchkin."

This made CiCi feel better and she smiled again as she began to skip. Before finally leaving, Riley's parents pulled her into a tight, loving hug and gave some small words of encouragement. Afterwards, Riley sat in the living room silently as CiCi busied herself with her toys nearby.