• | Chapter Sixteen | •

"You guys, we should go see that new Madea Halloween movie. I forgot it just came out a few days ago." Jay mentioned to the group as they all stood around her Jeep after leaving Frankie's.

Craig slurped the last of his vanilla milkshake before saying, "I don't know, tickets have skyrocketed since the last time I've been to the movies. It's about $12 per person now. The concession stands are even worse."

"Damn, really?" Michelle muttered, her face morphing into a mixture of disappointment and annoyance. "That's ridiculous."

"Exactly. But we can always bootleg it at my place." Craig said. Jay's face slowly contorted into disdain.

"If your bootleg version of a movie means seeing people get up and walk across the screen, and hearing their whole conversations, I rather just pay to go to the movies." She crossed her arms and raised an eyebrow.

The girls nodded in agreement with her.

"Actually, my cousin is very good at bootlegging movies and I have the hookups. C'mon, it'll be fun. Trust me." He said as he put his arm around her and rested his forehead against hers. Jay pursed her lips for a little bit, then gave in with a small smile and a roll of her eyes.

"Alright, fine. You guys in?"

Xavier and Michelle shrugged. Javen looked to Riley and she gave a small nod.

"Sure, why not?"

🌹

Everybody except Javen stood flabbergasted in the large room that resembled a movie theater to some degree, with Xavier dropping his jaw as well as a bag of snacks they bought from the store. Michelle nudged his arm.

"Don't crush my Oreo's, Xavier!" She chastised and picked the bag up from the floor.

His shock slowly wore off. "My bad, Michelle. I'm just-I've never seen- damn, Craig, I didn't know you had it like this."

He chuckled in reply as everybody began to slowly make their way toward a comfortable spot either on one of the nice couches or a plush recliner. "A lot of people don't know and I plan to keep it that way."

A smirk formed upon Jay's heavily glossed lips as she stood over to where Craig was setting up the movie. "So I take that as a good sign, right?"

His arm slowly wrapped around her waist and brought her close. "Of course."

Michelle and her "date" got settled next together in recliners. Riley chose a seat on the comfy couch. As soon as she sat down, her body sunk into the soft cushion and she quickly became comfortable.

Javen sat by her but gave her enough space so she wouldn't feel uneasy. Craig provided everyone with a blanket and not long after, the movie was playing and snacks were being eaten.

Craig kept his word on the movie being pirated to perfection. There were no silhouettes walking across the screen or talking in the background other than a couple of whispers from the group every now and then.

Toward the middle of the movie, Riley noticed that Javen had discreetly scooted closer to her to the point their arms brushed together. The nagging feeling in her stomach was subtle, but it didn't bother her as he slyly wrapped an arm around her.

"How are you enjoying the movie?" He whispered close to her ear.

She turned to look into his blue eyes. They were beautiful but there was something behind them that made her feel off. "It's pretty good. What about you?"

He nodded. "I like it. Joe's pretty funny."

She chuckled. "Yeah, he's one of my favorites in the franchise."