• | Chapter Thirteen | •

| That Friday Night. . .

The screams and rooting from the crowd in the stands were tremendous as the Ridge Blue High football players were heading towards a touchdown with the ball in tow. They were in the lead with a score of 21-7, but the rival team, North Ridge High, were gaining on them quickly. Player 22 had the ball tucked tightly between the bend of his right arm. He easily dodged and outran several opponents before nearly being tackled just as he rolled into the end zone with the ball still in his grip. The cheering heightened as Craig stood tall and tossed the ball to the referee.

Riley was sitting in the bleachers, her cheek propped against the palm of her hand without a care in the world. She was still upset about her parents missing out on her performance, and not even the surprise pop up of Javen excited her. Though when she caught a quick glimpse of Mr. Jackson earlier in the packed stadium, her mood had risen slightly before plummeting once again after he disappeared from her sight.

But due to Jay jumping excitingly and performing the goofiest victory dance she ever saw, Riley's sullen mood was lifted immediately as she laughed. Jay then purposely started backing up on her and Riley jokingly pushed her away.

"I think you should save that dance for Craig." Riley smirked and Jay rolled her eyes before smiling.

"You just don't wanna make Javen jealous. I got you." Her best friend joked before looking around. "Where is he, anyway? He should've been back with our slushies by now."

Riley shrugged, getting up. "I'm not sure. Come on, we can go look for him before the game ends."

Jay followed after Riley as they went up the steps and through the massive crowds of people standing around at the top. Because this was the last game Riley had to perform at, Trent allowed the guard to mingle freely after their performance and it was optional if they wanted to return back to the buses after the game. The area of the concession stands were practically overcrowded and both girls sighed in annoyance from all the bodies that surrounded them.

"Where is our food?" Jay quipped when Michelle emerged from the thick crowd, carrying cheesy nachos and a small drink.

"Back at the concession stand." She jested back. "I told you I was hungry and I wasn't going to wait until after the game ended to eat. You can have some, though."

She held out the small paper tray and Jay declined while Riley grabbed a couple of chips smothered in appetizing, melted cheese and meat.

"Have you seen Javen by chance?" Jay asked just as they started walking again.

"I passed him a few minutes ago but I can't even remember where I've seen him at. He's probably stuck in one of those long lines back there." Michelle answered before biting into a cheesy nacho.

"There's no way we can find him in this mess." Riley crossed her arms and slightly stepped aside as a small group walked by through the tiny space between her and other strangers.

"Right." Jay agreed. They squeezed through several tight spaces between several bodies and stood on their tiptoes to peer over the heads and shoulders of many people. "I wouldn't be surprised if he got lost."

Riley sighed and turned, bumping directly into a hard chest. She slightly stumbled back before a pair of large hands firmly grasped her forearms, quickly stabling her balance.

"Whoa there, Bambi." The familiar voice chuckled.

She was suddenly almost too shy to look up, her face feeling immensely warm from the flush of embarrassment that swept through her. She eventually looked up through her thick lashes and her face felt even hotter at the small smirk on Mr. Jackson's face. A slew of goosebumps rose over every inch of her body.