⚠️ • | Chapter Forty-One | • ⚠️

{ ⚠️ Trigger Warning: Violence & SA ⚠️ }

A small ache mercilessly throbbed in her head as Riley stirred awake and her eyes slowly adjusted to the darkness of the room she was in. She turned from her side onto her back, her shoulder brushing against the firmness of the couch just as she spotted the small light coming from the kitchen. She correctly assumed that she was in the living room.

But it wasn't her living room.

Her eyes widened and she quickly sat up, causing the ache to heighten slightly. She groaned as she held her temple and gradually got up from the couch. Her heart nearly dropped to the pit of her stomach as she scanned the unfamiliar dark living room that connected to the hallway; she didn't know whether Javen had left her completely or was simply lurking around as a shadow. She felt around her pockets in hopes that her phone would suddenly be there, but it wasn't.

She took a small step forward and immediately heard a door shut from outside. She stood frozen, too frightened to move in case that person was Javen. But after several short seconds, she swallowed her fear and took another small step forward. Eyeing the faint outline of the front door from across the room by the kitchen, she immediately made a beeline toward it, but not without stumbling into some things that happened to be hidden in her way. Her hand quickly latched onto the doorknob and she attempted to open the door. Her eyes followed up alongside the edge of the door, and she noticed the deadbolt and bolt lock.

But before she could try to unlock either one of the two, she felt a menacing presence behind her. She tightened her grip on the doorknob and kept her stare locked on the door as her body grew rigid from the immense fear flowing through her veins.

"Going somewhere?" He whispered close to her ear, tucking a piece of hair behind it. She shuddered from his touch as her heart rammed inside her chest.

Her lips were pressed firmly in a tight line as she kept silent. She could feel the doorknob being coated in her sweat from her clammy hand as she let out a small shaky breath.

"You didn't think I'd let you go so soon, hm?" His hot breath uncomfortably touched her ear and her skin crawled with utter disgust. He grabbed her arms and whirled her around, pressed her against the door, then flicked on a nearby light.

Riley winced for the first few seconds before her vision adjusted again.

At first, she refused to look at him. "I don't understand why you're doing this, Javen." Then her eyes gradually met his. "If you let me go, I promise I won't tell anyone about this."

He cocked his head slightly, a small, fake frown on his lips. "So... if I don't let you go, you will go tell someone? Hm, that doesn't sound very promising."

She frantically shook her head. "No, just-please let me go. It's obvious we aren't meant to be and you'll find someone so much better than me."

"Is that so?"

"Javen, please." She pleaded, her eyes stinging from the buildup of tears. "Just let me go home."

"What if," he placed his palms flat against the surface of the door on either side of her, "I don't want you to go home. Maybe I like having you around. Maybe I enjoy messing with you."

She stared at him in bewilderment. Her backside pressed harder against the cold surface of the door as if she would somehow simply fall through and end up on the other side to escape.

"I enjoy the way your beautiful eyes grow so wide in fear." He chuckled. "Yet under all that fear, I can see the fight in you. So few girls have actually fought back against me, and it's just something that I absolutely love about you."