• | Chapter Nineteen | •

It was an hour left into the school day and Riley was ready for a much needed nap after helping Mr. Jackson with some assignments he needed organized. She almost dozed off a couple of times on his small sofa before she decided to busy herself with Mrs. Ryier's short essay assignment. As she sat there lightly tapping her pencil against her notebook while brainstorming some topics, Mr. Jackson looked up from his desk.

They hadn't spoken much since their lunch earlier other than an occasional smile and subtle eye flirtation. He glanced around the room for something to randomly talk about when he came across a magazine laying nearby with a picture of a college campus building.

"So, um..." He started a little awkwardly, causing Riley to turn her attention to him, "have you decided what college you want to go to?"

She nodded with a grin. "Yeah, I want to attend UCLA."

He raised his eyebrows. "Really? Have you applied yet?"

She nodded again.

"Have you heard anything back?" He asked.

She sighed with a slight frown. "No. I think I'm just a little impatient, but I can't wait to get that letter in the mail and finally be able to attend. I don't know what I want to study exactly, but I'm leaning towards being a choreographer. Then again, I could go into business and own my own dance studio."

He smiled to himself. It was cute to watch her talk excitedly about her future plans and the way her eyebrows crinkled in concentration as she tried to decide what she ultimately wanted to do.

"Well, you're smart and you love to dance. I like that idea of owning your own dance studio." He said after a while.

She bashfully looked up with a smile. "You think so?"

"Yeah, but it's really up to you."

"I'll give it some more thought. Can you help me with something else, though?" She asked and he nodded with a shrug. "I have a few topics written out for my short essay assignment and I need your opinion on them."

He slid over in his chair and patted the space right next to him. She shyly bit her lip and grabbed her things before walking over to sit next to him. Being this close to him, taking in his magnificent cologne, made it seem like time flew by faster. It wasn't long before the bell rang dismissing school for the day and the hallways instantly became crowded.

But Riley hadn't moved an inch and neither did Mr. Jackson. He was still helping her with her homework as his chest was pressed lightly against her shoulder. His breath tickled the outside of her ear and close to her nape, sending a small chill down her spine. She bit her tongue and subconsciously begged for his lips to touch her skin.

Unfortunately for her, Mr. Jackson couldn't read minds and he pulled away against her wish.

"We can continue this tomorrow. When is the assignment due?" He asked before he stood up.

"We need the topics by Friday and the essay written by next Thursday." She said, fighting every urge in her body to pull him back down close to her.

"Okay, that gives us a bit of time. If you need my feedback after school, just email me, okay?" He winked at her and she almost swooned out the chair.

'Let me get out of here before I tackle this man.' She thought to herself and quickly stood up.

"Thanks, Mr. Jackson." She said, then grabbed her bag.

"Anytime. I'll see you tomorrow." He smiled at her and she smiled back before leaving the office.

She walked down the short hallway to join the rest of the mingling students, then headed to her locker. As she focused on switching out her books and rummaging for a folder, she felt a presence beside her.