Chapter 19

Veronica's POV

It's been a few weeks since that day that started out great got worse by running into Joe and then better slowly. Let's just say I drank a lot more that night than I probably normally would have. Regardless, I haven't heard much from him since then which I am thoroughly happy about. I do know that he is still in town because he is staying with his step sister who just so happens to be dating my best friend, well more like a brother to me ever since the night I wish I could forget about, and he keeps me posted. Needless to say part of him keeping me posted is so I know what places to avoid when so I don't have to get into an altercation with him. 

Anyway over these last few weeks, Lizzie has also been staying at our apartment. She told Kenzie that she is off for a little while and figured she'd stay with us until graduation. I don't mind, I get to see her more and we've become more like friends than anything, especially in front of Kenzie. Tonight though I am getting ready for a party that Kenzie is throwing at our apartment. It's, in her words, "our last hurrah to really let loose until after finals and graduation." I mean who am I to complain about a fun party with drinking and whatnot. 

The party has been going on and I can hear the music blasting through our apartment, I am also two drinks in. They weren't strong drinks but I'm enjoying myself, then a Taylor Swift song comes on and Lizzie and I look at each other. Next thing I know we both are dancing away singing with each other without a care in the world. She definitely is tipsier than me but I was also kind of tipsy. I tend not to like to get drunk at these parties that I don't know everyone especially given my last situation at a party a few years back. ANYWAY, that's not going to ruin my mood tonight, or so I thought. 

Lizzie and I had just finished jamming out and singing to the song. We are laughing at each other and how goofy we looked when my apartment door swung open, immediately I saw the one person I didn't want to...Joe. He was followed by his step sister and Brad, who got a death glare from me and he simply mouthed an I'm sorry. My mood sort of shifted at that moment but I did my best to play it off by leaving Lizzie to get a drink and standing by the window in our living room so I can see everything happening in the party. And by everything I mean keep an eye on Lizzie without being all over her and whatnot. I took a sip from my cup and the minute I finished what was in it and look around my eyes land on none other than Lizzie and Joe talking to one another. That made my skin crawl, I didn't want to make a scene but I watched them like a hawk and as soon as I saw Joe leave with his and her cup I took that as my window to step in. As I'm walking to Lizzie I shot Brad a quick text to keep Joe busy and away from me and Lizzie until we are done. 

I get to Lizzie and she is all giggly and happy, doesn't register I'm near her until I speak up.

Me: Hey Lizzie can I talk to you for a second?

L: yeah what's up? 

She moved so her back was against the wall and I was standing in front of her staring into her gorgeous green eyes. 

Me: Why were you talking to that guy? Do you even know who that is?

L: I was talking to him because he came up to talk to me and I saw no harm in it. Why who is he?

Me: That's not important but he is bad news Lizzie, please stay away from him

L: Ooooo someone's jealous.

Me: I am not I'm trying to keep you safe I know what he's capable of. I need you to trust me.

I looked back quickly to see how Brad was doing in distracting Joe, and to no surprise someone went up to Brad to say hi and Joe took that moment to take something out his back pocket and pour in the cup in front of him. 

"Changed my ass" I mumbled to myself. Lizzie then brought my attention back to her as I saw Brad going back to talk to Joe

L: What was that?