Chapter 70

The shock was slowly starting to wear off during the silent ride back home, the realization of the night's events coming in waves

The shock was slowly starting to wear off during the silent ride back home, the realization of the night's events coming in waves. Blair looked down at her clothes as River sped down the streets of Gotham. There was so much more blood than she thought.

She wanted to lean back against the seat, but sharp stinging kept her from doing it. If she twisted, even a little bit, it was like something was ripping her apart. She knew if she were to touch her back with her hand, she would find pieces of glass from the shattered coffee table still embedded in her back.

Her head stung, her body felt like it was on fire, but every single, minuscule movement made her throat flare in pain. Being strangled always left for the most painful aftermath, but it was nothing compared to the thoughts running through her head when she could finally form a coherent thought.

Blair focused on the beating of Jason's heart as River turned into the driveway. The more she listened to the rhythmic thumping, the quieter the roaring in her head became. Eventually, it would come back and she would have to face it, but right now, she just enjoyed that small moment of calm as much as she could.

The car came to a stop, River jumping out as Blair sat up, the glass that was still in her back stinging as she did. Jason got out of the car first, helping her out. She didn't exactly need it, but that's not why she allowed him to help her.

River held open the door to the mansion, letting Blair and Jason walk through first. The minute her feet stepped onto the wooden floors, she wanted to turn back around. Barbara and Alfred looked over at the doorway, their eyes widening in shock as they took in the sight of her covered in blood and glass.

"Oh my god, Blair!" Barbara exclaimed, moving as fast as she could in her chair to get to her, Alfred running ahead. "What happened?"

"She needs to get cleaned up before she gets checked for any injuries." Jason said, leading her to the staircase, past the questions being thrown her way. She just wanted to get upstairs and scream. "Bruce is taking care of everything else right now."

Barbara moved until she was blocking their path, "What is everything else, Jason?"

"Barbara," He started, tensing up as if getting ready for a fight. "No offense, but if you don't move out of the fucking way, I'll make you."

"Oh, I'd like to see you try." She challenged.

Jason took a step forward, Alfred ready to intervene, when Blair blurted out, "I killed someone."

Every head in the house whipped in her direction, but at least a fight between her boyfriend and cousin was prevented. She couldn't take another fight today, she really couldn't, especially not one being fought on her behalf. They had enough to worry about.

Alfred spoke first, asking softly like he was expecting to have just misheard her, "What?"

"Someone was in Uncle Jim's house, waiting to take me to Penguin. He tried to kill me and I stabbed him." Blair explained simply, everything coming out so calmly, it surprised even her. It was like her voice was disconnected from her brain. She looked down at her bloody clothes again before looking up. "Most of this blood is his, not mine."