Chapter 61

"The place is called Corvo

"The place is called Corvo. It's some kind of speakeasy." Dick told them, getting out of the car. While it only took them an hour to get to Milwaukee, it took them some time to actually track down the man. "Landlord said he bounces the late shift."

"That's too bad." Jason shrugged, sticking his hands in his jacket pockets as Blair shut the passenger door behind her to start walking on the sidewalk. "Bouncers are assholes."

"Clay's not." Dick responded defensively, turning to look at him as they walked down the sidewalk. "And how would you know anyway?"

"Uncle Ray would take me to bars with him all the time when I was little." He started to explain, Blair biting her lip next to him. She had heard all about the life Jason had lived with his uncle before he had ended up on the streets. It was a mess. "Everyone thought it was cute til it wasn't. He was a fun drunk. Then he'd get stupid, then he'd start throwing punches... then the bouncers would kick our asses out."

Blair waited for the inevitable question, looping her arm through Jason's as they continued walking, Dick asking the question, "Where were your folks?"

"Mom was upstate. Dad was downstate." He answered like it wasn't a big deal. Blair knew otherwise. "Uncle Ray was the man until he OD'd when I was 13."

Dick glanced over at Blair for a second before asking the next question, "Where'd you go?"

"Wherever. Foster care, in and out of the system, the streets mostly after that." Jason shrugged nonchalantly. Dick looked over at him, sympathy clouding his eyes while Jason just shook his head. "It's not all bad. I survived. Now look, man, we're living the dream." He glanced over at Blair, "A pretty damn good one too."

Blair rolled her eyes, elbowing him in the side while Dick groaned. They stopped at the corner, all looking over at the building nearby, a small sign notifying them that they had reached their destination.

Blair and Jason stood back as Dick walked up to the door. He knocked, the metal slit in the window immediately sliding open as the bouncer inside waited patiently. She glanced between Dick and the door, watching as his hand slowly inched to the badge in his jacket. "Do it." She whispered loudly. "Take out the badge. You know you want to."

Jason snorted next to her, Dick turning around to flash them a warning look before turning back to the door, raising his badge. Blair bit the inside of her cheek to keep from laughing while he asked, "Clay Williams working tonight?"

The bouncer nodded, "VIP lounge."

"Okay." The door opened, the bouncer stepping back to let Dick in. Blair and Jason walked forward, Blair handing him her fake ID. The bouncer studied it for a second before handing it back to her, waving her inside. She grinned over at Dick, immediately bouncing over to him to wait for the bouncer to study Jason's ID. He leaned over to her, muttering quietly, "I know you're not twenty-one."