Chapter 27

Blair walked into The Secret Garden, Jason by her side

Blair walked into The Secret Garden, Jason by her side. She looked around at all the books, taking a deep breath in through her nose, smiling at the smell of books mixed with essential oils. Jason looked at her out of the corner of his eye, amazed at how quickly she had just become one with the store.

She gazed around the building, eyes falling on River at one of the bookshelves in the front. At the exact moment she found him, he looked up waving with a smile on his face. Blair practically bounced over to him, Jason dragging his feet behind her.

"Hi! Long time no see!" River grinned, pulling her in for a hug.

"I saw you three days ago!" Blair laughed, hitting his shoulder as she pulling away. Jason had to focus on the books behind River's head to keep from rolling his eyes. Wait... did she say that she saw him three days ago?

River winked, "That's a long time."

"You saw each other three days ago?" Jason interrupted. "I thought you were tutoring that day."

"I was. I met up with him after." Blair explained, confused at Jason's mood change. She looked back at the bookshelves behind River's head. "Anyway, what are we looking for?"

"Nothing much. Just books to read." River shrugged, holding up the Maze Runner in his hand.

"Cool, I need new material." She said, eyes falling on a book on the shelf. She pulled it out before sitting down on the floor at the boys' feet, opening it to the first chapter.

Jason and River stared at each other, an awkward standoff forming. Neither one knew what to say, the only thing they had in common was the girl on the floor with her nose in a book. Finally, River spoke up, "Nice to see you again, man."

Jason nodded, glancing down at Blair on the floor, her eyes dancing through the pages, lighting up at the words. It brought back the memory of her reading in the Batcave on one of his first nights at the mansion, her eyes bright as she read. She wasn't just here for the boy across from him, she was here for the books, River being the way in. "Well, I'm going to go check out something over there."

Blair looked up, smiling, "Okay. I'll meet you over there in a minute."

Jason walked away as she stayed on the floor, the book held tightly in her hands. River slid down to the ground next to her, looking over at her with a smile, "Whatcha reading smart stuff?"

Blair held up the book, peering around it with a pleased expression, "An Alice in Wonderland type of thing."

"Ah, Splintered." River read the title. "Judging by the cover, it looks interesting."