Chapter 36

*trigger warning; physical abuse, murder, borderline sexual abuse*

Blair sat across from Harley on her small bed, a large cupcake in between them. It had been two days since her huge fight with her uncle and Dick and she had yet to answer either one of their calls, though she did argue with Dick through text an hour before she got to Arkham. She was exhausted. It was like the minute she thought she had everything under control and everything figured out, some force came in to wreck it all. She was lucky that she still had Jason at all at this point.

"I heard about what happened at the nightclub. Harley looked up from the red velvet cupcake in between them, giving her one of the rare, kind looks only reserved for her. "You good?"

Blair sighed, wishing that was the biggest issue with her life. When Bruce had asked for the story to be pulled, the newspaper had already sent the story to be printed. It was pushed to the back, but it was still there.

"That wasn't even the worst thing to happen on my birthday." She ripped the cupcake in half, handing a piece to Harley with a napkin. "I'm not on speaking terms with my uncle or his best friend, so that's saying something."

Harley raised her eyebrows in surprise, "Shit, what did they do? Forget or something?"

"I wish." Blair scoffed.

Harley licked some frosting off her finger, her eyes waiting for Blair to explain herself. When she didn't, Harley set the cupcake back down on the bed in front of her lap, "Well damn BW, are you going to just sit there or are you going to tell me what the hell happened?"

Blair ripped off a piece of her half of the cupcake, "They ran a background check on my best friend then dropped it all while he sat there next to me."

That brought a sparkle into Harley's eyes as she sat up straight, giving Blair her full and undivided attention, "Was it bad? What he do? Murder someone? Because I'd have some questions about your friends if he did."

"God no. Just theft and assault." Blair fixed her with a knowing look. "Besides, Harley, you can't judge."

"Fair point." She agreed, cocking her head to the side as she studied Blair's eyes. "You don't seem all that upset though. Actually, you look kinda different."

"Different?" Blair repeated in confusion, not following what Harley was saying.

"Yeah, like your eyes seem brighter, you smile more..." Harley's eyes widened as she gasped loudly. "BLAIR WILDE, ARE YOU IN LOVE?!?"

Blair had just taken a bite out of the cupcake in her hands and started to choke. Harley immediately reached over to pat her hard on the back, trying to help her get oxygen back into her lungs. "Don't die in here, they'll think I killed ya and we already have more security because someone got out."