Chapter 75

A scream erupted through the silent darkness of Blair's room, causing Jason to bolt upright in bed, seeing Blair gasping for breath

"Hey, hey, hey." He said calmly, knowing better than to touch her. After that night with her uncle and everything that had occurred as a result of the Gordon Hit List (what the Gotham Gazette had taken to calling the unfortunate events that caused Jim Gordon's death), Blair had been having nightmares even he couldn't completely chase away. She had woken up screaming more than once, yet this time just felt different. "What happened?"

Blair didn't respond, hands immediately going to her throat. The bruises she had received from that night were still healing, the fight with Bruce a few days before causing them to remain darker than they should've been, but that wasn't the problem. She wasn't dreaming about Bruce or the man she had killed, not at that moment anyway.

Jason eyed her hand at her throat, "Was it—" She immediately shook her head before he could even finish his question. "Blair, breathe." He tried, calmly. Whatever she had dreamed about had left her shaken and the scream had left her out of breath. "Breathe."

Blair reached over, switching on the light on her nightstand, still tracing her throat with her fingers. Blair, help me. She shook her head, hoping to empty the thought from her brain. Rachel was fine. She just talked to her the day before. Everything was fine.

"I felt like my throat was on fire," She croaked out. She had felt pain before, a million times over, but never like that fire rising from inside of her just then. "Like I was being strangled but being burned alive at the same time."

"Maybe it was just from that." He offered, pointing at the bruises on her throat.

"No, this was different." She said. Help me, help us. What the fuck was she supposed to do with that? "This felt different. I was burning from the inside, Jay."

Blair glanced over at her open door, running a hand through her hair, "What time is it?"

Jason reached over to grab his phone off his own nightstand, checking the time, "Early afternoon, why?"

Blair continued to trace the bruises on her throat absentmindedly, staring at the open door, "Alfred and Bruce left for that Justice League thing last night. I forgot."

After Barbara's induction ceremony to office, Bruce had gotten a call from Diana, something to do with a professor and something called an AMAZO— she didn't quite catch it all. To be honest, she didn't really care. She was too busy smiling for pictures, being the socialite cousin of the commissioner she was expected to be.

Bruce had told them both he would be leaving, though he wasn't sure when he'd be back, which is why Alfred chose to go along with him, giving them the vacation they were supposed to have over the weekend at the cabin. Blair had just thrown up a peace sign, walking up the stairs with her strawberry milkshake, only coming out to help Alfred with his bags.