Chapter 48

Blair and Jules sat in a booth at one of the old ice cream parlors in downtown Gotham, swapping their bowls of ice cream every so often

Blair and Jules sat in a booth at one of the old ice cream parlors in downtown Gotham, swapping their bowls of ice cream every so often. It was something they had done for years, something that had stopped after Blair had gotten home from that spring break in San Francisco. They each got their own bowl of ice cream, but still shared with each other due to their tastes being so different.

"So, Matty had an amazing idea." Jules said suddenly, her brown eyes twinkling in excitement.

Blair let her spoon drop to the side of the bowl, giving her friend a look of amusement, "And what is this amazing idea of Matty's, Jules?"

Jules stuck her tongue out, but almost instantly returned back to the conversation, "When was the last time we had a bonfire?"

"A bonfire?" Blair blinked in surprise. "Matty wants to have a bonfire."

"We used to do them all the time before..." Before Blair had lost any and all interest in things that had once been exciting and fun for her. Before she had gone to San Francisco for a spring break and had come back, followed by a bruised and bloodied Dick Grayson and the destruction of her second family.

"Actually, a bonfire sounds great." Blair said thoughtfully. Jules widened her eyes in surprise as she continued. "I mean, you're right, we haven't had one in forever and we have plenty of room at the mansion to have one."

"Wait, really?" Jules exclaimed in disbelief. Blair looked around the ice cream shop in amusement before shifting her gaze back to her excited friend. Apparently Jules hadn't thought she would agree to the plan. "You want to have one? Seriously?"

"Yes!" She couldn't help but laugh. Then, she remembered a few people who she hadn't seen in a while and a few who had only seen her while working. "On one condition."

"What's this condition?" Jules leaned forward, shoving her half eaten bowl of ice cream out of the way as Blair started to plan out the evening for the bonfire and the people to invite.

There was no doubt about it, Blair was rising above it all, she was learning to live again.

********

Blair and Kate both stood on high ladders, hanging twinkling lights in the trees a few hundred feet away from the mansion. Blair tossed a strand over to Kate who caught it with ease, "You know, I was kind of surprised when you called me and said that you were having a bonfire tonight."

"So was Jules when I agreed to it." Blair stepped off her ladder to look up at the strands of lights hanging from tree to tree, checking to see if there were any that needed to be fixed before they turned them on. "I don't know why you guys are all shocked by it."