Chapter 78

Dick opened his eyes, slowly coming to

Dick opened his eyes, slowly coming to. The house was quiet, empty other than him, Rachel, and he assumed Gar. Everything still felt a little fuzzy, he almost didn't trust that he was actually awake, even with Rachel standing right in front of him with a small smile, "Welcome back. I missed you."

Gar walked into the room, pulling a shirt over his head, "What happened?"

Seeing the kid covered in blood and blackening bruises that were no doubt caused by him and the others, Dick winced. He was supposed to protect Rachel and Gar, yet he put them in more danger.

Rachel opened her mouth to speak when the front door opened, Blair walking in— only it wasn't Blair, it was some hollow, empty version of her. Her eyes were completely black underneath her mask, expression almost dead. Something inside Dick twisted at the sight, the longer he looked at her, the sharper it became.

No one had followed her in, it was like she was acting on her own, even though she was clearly under Trigon's influence. She didn't speak, she just made her way deeper into the house, stopping when she walked into the living room, like she was stopping herself from doing something dangerous.

Dick stepped forward, "Blair?"

"Wait," Rachel jumped in front of him, stopping him before he could walk any further. "She's not herself right now. She's dangerous. Just let me—"

"No." Gar interrupted, shaking his head quickly, much to their surprise.

"Gar—"

"She was fighting it." He insisted defensively. Out of everyone that had attacked him (Dick included), Blair was the only one that had stopped. In that moment, he could tell she was fighting for control again until Trigon pulled her back under again. "I could tell, she was fighting it."

Rachel hesitated for a minute, studying Blair closely, "That doesn't matter now. She's under his control."

Ignoring Rachel's warnings, Dick walked past her, heading straight for Blair who had stopped at chair nearby. She was struggling, he could feel it. It was like she was screaming in his head.

Rachel tried stopping him, with no luck, "What are you—"

"Blair's in there," He interrupted, staring at Blair's clenched fists. "I know she is. If anyone is going to fight against Trigon's mind fuck, it'll be her."

"She gave in—"

"She'll fight back." He insisted, coming to a stop in front of Blair. The closer he was, the more he saw. Her lip was bleeding, her nails were cutting into the skin on her palm as she wasn't wearing her gloves, there were streaks of paint from underneath her mask in tracks of tears. She was fighting whatever command she had been given.

"Come on, Blair." Dick whispered. "Fight this."

Out of instinct, he grabbed her shoulder for reassurance. It was just one gesture, one he had made a million times before, but those other times weren't like this one.