Chapter 42

"Where are we going?" Jason asked for the tenth time as Blair tugged on his hand down the sidewalk

She had woken him up in the morning by jumping on his side of the bed repeatedly until he just rolled onto the floor. Whatever she woke him up for, he couldn't even be mad at her when she grinned down at him all the while still jumping on the bed— his bed, to be clear.

After the showdown with Harley Quinn and Poison Ivy almost a month ago, Blair had bounced back better than he had ever seen. She was more sure of herself, happier despite everything she had been through. It was like she got her power back.

"You showed me something of yours, now I'm going to show you something of mine. It seems fair." She answered his question, pushing through the people crowding the sidewalks.

Jason was about to ask again when she finally stopped walking, stopping right in front of a clear glass door of a giant building. He looked up at the building, see the name "Marion Publishing" at the top. "Woah, this is—"

"The best place in Gotham City." Blair grinned, practically beaming. "My home away from home in a way."

She pushed open the glass door, waving at Mike at the front desk. Mike had been there every day for as long as she could remember, though being the glorified doorman wasn't his only job.

He was actually the head of security, one of the best in the city. According to her mother's files, he used to be the head of security at Arkham but left when his son was born. Before then, he was a lieutenant in the army who was honorably discharged after he was near an explosion that killed his entire team in Afghanistan. Apparently, he had been friends with her mother beforehand and she hired him to work for Marion after he left Arkham.

Mike gave Jason a once over before smiling and nodding his approval. She had never brought anyone outside of Matty, Jules, and occasionally Kate to Marion with her, so this was a bigger deal than she cared to admit.

"Are you sure you want me here?" Jason asked as she pushed the button for the elevator. "I mean, I'm pretty much a street rat."

Blair raised her eyebrows in amusement, "Street rat? How Aladdin of you."

"You know what I mean." He rolled his eyes as she pulled him into the empty elevator. Everyone around them was seemingly content in their lives, holding stacks of papers, rushing all over the building. A few of them stopped as they recognized Blair, smiling and waving. She must have been at the company more than he realized. The doors of the elevator shut, separating them from the rest of the world.

"I do know what you mean, and yes. I want you here." Blair said, leaning against the wall of the elevator, her arms crossed. "This is an important place to me, I want to show it to you." The elevator dinged as the doors opened again. "So Aladdin, welcome to my world."