Chapter 25

Blair and Jason stood on the roof of the building across from Zoe Lawton's apartment building

Blair and Jason stood on the roof of the building across from Zoe Lawton's apartment building. It was close enough that Blair could see Zoe's mom stumble in, 9:30 on the dot, just like clockwork. She tried to be at this spot every time she went on patrol, just to keep an eye on Zoe while she could. Even if that little girl didn't know it, she would be protected at all times.

"Do you do this every night?" Jason asked, leaning against the smoke stack.

Blair refused to let her gaze waver as she responded, "Do what?"

"Watch over her." Jason specified, genuinely curious.

"Yeah, every night that I can." She answered honestly. Jason wasn't surprised by that, remembering how Blair was with the little girl. Taking care of Zoe meant a lot to her and she didn't do it for recognition or anything. She did it because she truly cared. That's what amazed Jason.

"Does Bruce know?" He asked, walking over to get a better view.

Blair shrugged, "I'm not sure. I've never told him."

"You keep secrets from Batman?" Jason asked, holding in a laugh.

"Batman's kept secrets from me. So did Robin. You don't see them tripping over themselves to tell me theirs, why worry myself and do the same?" Blair quipped, sitting down on the edge of the roof, her feet dangling off the side.

Jason sat down next to her, "I mean, can't argue with that logic."

They sat in silence for a bit, Blair watching the apartment below, Jason watching her. The night seemed really quiet, a rarity in their profession.

"I feel like we should be doing something." He said finally, catching her attention.

Blair smiled, remembering her first night of patrol when she had said the same thing to Dick, "Here's the thing about patrol, Jay: sometimes you just sit here and wait."

"For what?"

Out of the corner of her eye, she caught a man enter the nearby corner store. She turned her head, focusing her whole attention onto the man as he walked through the different aisles, the woman at the counter also keeping a close eye on him. Then, in a split second, the man was at the register with a gun to the cashier's head.

Blair nudged Jason's shoulder, jerking her head in the direction of the corner store, "That."

Without waiting for Jason to get on board, she jumped off the building, using her grappling hook to get leverage from Zoe's apartment building to swing to the ground. She heard the quiet thud of feet hitting the ground behind her, bringing a small smile to her face.

Pushing open the door, she caught the attention of both the man with the gun and the terrified cashier, "Drop it."

The man's red rimmed eyes widened as Blair took him in. Judging by his shaking hands and the wild look in his eyes, she could see that he was a drug user and one that had finally hit the withdrawal phase. "Holy—"