Chapter 72

Jason walked down the stairs, not at all surprised to see Blair sitting on the couch with Popchik in her lap, staring at the empty fireplace

Jason walked down the stairs, not at all surprised to see Blair sitting on the couch with Popchik in her lap, staring at the empty fireplace. Ever since she had found out where her powers had come from, right after losing Jim Gordon, she had barely said a word.

All she had done was train, sit in silence, and train again, not that he could blame her. The night before, she had fallen asleep for an hour before waking up screaming and crying. It had taken him almost two hours to calm her down and by then, she had refused to go back to sleep.

To anyone else, she was just being Blair. Bruce thought she was training harder to learn her abilities, which she was, but that's all he thought it was. For a man that was known as one of the best detectives in the world, he was the most oblivious man Jason had ever met, especially when it came to his team.

River, on the other hand, assumed it was just how Blair grieved. He wasn't entirely wrong, but he also wasn't there in the beginning like Jason was. It had only been three days, but the more time that passed, the more it seemed like Blair was slowly spiraling back to the girl that had nothing to lose and nothing much to live for. It wasn't something he wanted to see happen again.

"Hey," He said, making it to the final step before she finally looked up. "How you doing?"

Blair shrugged, thinking he was referring to the hours of training her and Barbara had just finished up thirty minutes before, "My shields come naturally. I still haven't learned how to make myself invisible or what exactly the fun little light shows are that I can put on, but at least I can make force fields."

"What about—"

"I haven't used it." She interrupted, not wanting to even think about her other special little gift from hell. "Haven't even tried."

Jason sat down next to her, Popchik situating himself to where he was touching both Jason and Blair, but kept his head on Blair's lap. Of course he did. Blair was his favorite. Jason scratched the back of the dog's ears, focusing on the way Blair had spoken, "Why not?"

"I don't want to be that person." Those powers... they weren't powers to be proud of. They weren't powers to nurture. "Going inside people's minds, showing them their deepest fears, creating nightmares..." It was Jonathan Crane, not her. She could never be that person, she would never allow herself to be that person. "I don't want to be that person."

"So you're just going to ignore them?" Jason asked. "I don't think that's healthy, B."

Blair shrugged, not a care in the world, "Maybe they'll fade."

"And if they don't?" When she didn't respond, he continued on, "Blair, you sent five people to Arkham the first time you used those powers and that was on accident."

"Exactly! I didn't mean to do that!" She exclaimed. Every time she thought about those powers, all she could think of was how it felt to use them. It was terrifying, but at the same time, it felt good. Driving those men to the brink of insanity for having the nerve to harm her family— it felt good. She never wanted to feel that again. "I was just trying to save us, save—" She trailed off, refusing to say Gordon's name. "I just don't want to do it again."