Chapter 73

Blair jolted herself awake, the book she had fallen asleep reading on the couch landing with a thud on the floor

Blair jolted herself awake, the book she had fallen asleep reading on the couch landing with a thud on the floor. She ran a hand through her hair, slowly sitting up straight, catching her breath.

Sleeping hadn't been easy since the night of Jim Gordon's death, so much so that she had done her best to avoid it altogether as long as she could. Every time she fell asleep, she relived the moment in which she had to kill to survive, the moment when she destroyed the sanity of no less than five people, and the moment she lost her uncle. She almost missed the nightmares she had before.

"Oh good," Bruce said by way of greeting, walking into the living room from the Batcave. "You're awake."

"Yeah," She rubbed the sleep from her eyes. Outside, the sun was already starting to set, the bright reddish-orange light flooding the house. "Yeah." She looked up at him, still tired. "What's going on?"

"Go pack a bag." He responded nonchalantly. "We're going out of town for the weekend."

Blair blinked in surprise, not entirely sure she had heard him correctly, "I'm sorry, we're what?"

"I figured we could all use some time away from everything." Bruce explained as if it was something he suggested often. "Kate offered to watch out for the city with Alfred and River so you, Jason, and I can go to the cabin for the weekend."

The cabin. Bruce didn't even need to explain any further than those two words for her to know exactly where they were headed. When she was ten, she had helped him set up extremely elaborate traps throughout the woods around that little house, though at the time she thought it was for hunting. Once she was older, she realized the cabin was just one of Bruce's many safe-houses and the traps weren't for animals.

The last time she had been to the cabin was over two years ago to reset all the traps as part of her training, making sure she knew the entire layout of the land just in case they ever needed to hide out there one day. Other than the deadly weapons in the trees, it was a nice place to relax, but she hadn't thought Bruce would think the same.

Still trying to comprehend the idea of Bruce knowing what a break was, Blair said the only thing that she could think of, "Seriously?"

"That's what I said," Jason snorted, coming down the stairs with his bags already packed. "But apparently we're seriously taking a vacation."

Blair grabbed the pillow closest to her, flinging it at his head, "You knew about this and didn't bother to wake me up?"

Jason ducked as the pillow soared over his head, "In my defense, it was the first time you've slept in days. Sue me."