Chapter 45

Blair all but danced into the Batcave with the bo staff slung over her shoulder, Jason and River following close behind her

Blair all but danced into the Batcave with the bo staff slung over her shoulder, Jason and River following close behind her. She bounced down the steps as Jason said behind her, "One of these days, I am going to beat you."

"When that day comes, I'll let you choose the next bet." She grinned at him over her shoulder. Both her and Jason decided to practice with the staffs outside before the storm hit, River being their referee of sorts. While they were evenly matched, Blair still managed to win, knocking Jason on his ass three times out of the five they fought.

Blair was still dancing when they cleared the stairs, walking over to the weapons case when Alfred rushed up to them, stopping them in their path, "It's about time you three got in! Miss Blair, Master Jason, change into your suits immediately. Bruce is-"

"Waiting for you two to get ready." Bruce finished for him, stepping into the cave in his full Batman suit.

Despite the evident life-threatening mission that awaited them, Blair hit Jason on the arm, her eyes wide, "Jay, Jay, there's a giant bat giving me orders without reason!"

Jason snickered as River stared at her in disbelief. He had been around the group for a month now, and he still got shocked any time Blair and Jason talked back to Bruce or cracked jokes in the middle of a debriefing.

Meanwhile, Bruce let out an annoyed sigh, "We don't have time for this, Blair."

"I'd know that if you told me what the hell is going on." She crossed her arms, fixing him with an annoyed glare.

The standoff could have lasted hours, but they apparently didn't have that kind of time as Alfred coughed pointedly, narrowing his eyes at Bruce. "Penguin is on the warpath."

"When isn't he?" Blair snorted as Jason bit the inside of his cheek to keep from laughing.

"He broke Nygma out of Arkham because of it." Bruce continued, giving Jason a warning glance.

"I'm going to correct you there, Bruce." Blair interrupted, dragging his attention away from Jason for a minute. "Cobblepot would break Nygma out of Arkham just to have dinner. Quit beating around the bush. What are his plans?"

"The DA rejected his proposal to remove Gordon from office." He answered as Blair audibly groaned. "Not only that, but he started speaking out against Cobblepot in the press, which doesn't ever sit well with someone trying to run for mayor."

"I hate this goddamn town." Blair growled under her breath before raising her voice. "Why does everyone have a damn grudge against my uncle? The man is doing his best!"