Chapter 13

Mika's POV

I froze in shock when I felt someone's arms circling me from behind as I stood looking at the never-ending traffic from my office window. "Are you even coming back Mika?" Nico asked softly, almost in a whisper. A sigh left my body as I leaned back into him, my body craving for his touch while my mind is telling me to move away from him. We stood there in silence for what felt like hours, but probably was mere seconds. "I can't do this with you Nico. I can't do this to another woman. All of us involved are going to get hurt, and I'm not going to put myself through misery again. Yes, I do like you, more than I'm willing to admit to you or myself, but this can't continue, and we both know it", I said as I turned around and wrapped my arms around his neck.

He sighed as he rested his forehead against mine. "I don't love her, you know? I never did and I probably never will. I don't know what's going to happen, but what I do know is that I've never been this attracted to any other woman and that I don't want to lose you. I need you to come back to me. We'll sort things out. I'll find a way" he said almost in a whisper.

"What makes you think I won't come back?" I asked as I reluctantly moved away from him. "I don't know, maybe because of this whole mess?" he replied. "I never leave any job unfinished, no matter how hard the circumstances" I replied, slightly annoyed. "I'll come back. I just miss my kids. I wish that they were here with me. I've never been away from them this long" I said while I ran my hands through my hair.

"May I take you to the airport?" he asked suddenly. "I don't think that's a good idea Nico. I'll probably see you when I get back" I replied. "Sure. I assume you'll go right back to ignoring me once you get back, right?" he said with a look of frustration. I didn't reply as I went back to my desk and started working. I didn't have to look up to know that he looked at me frowning. I flinched when I heard his retreating footsteps, followed by the door closing with a bang.