Chapter 16

MIKA'S POV

The week passed quickly, and I'm overwhelmed with anxiety as I realize that my time with my kids is coming to an end and that I will have to face Domenico soon. A heavy sigh left my mouth as I thought of everything that happened. How my life got out of control so fast, I still don't know. I sure know how to pick them, I suppose.

Much to my surprise everything went smoothly back home. My ex didn't try to contact the kids, my neighbors who watches over my house had no sightings of him and I haven't heard from him in a while. Seems like the protection order is doing its job and I can't ask for better, because dealing with my troublesome ex is a pain in the ass and messed me up in more ways than one can ever imagine. After I left my home and marriage, I struggled to get rid of my ex. He stalked my mom's house, stalked me on social media and even waited for the kids outside their school. How he found out where the kids go to school, was still a surprise to me, because I tried hard to remove all my traces. After our divorce was finalized, I got the house, but I never moved back to it, but asked my previous neighbor to keep an eye out for him, because he wasn't allowed near me after I got a protection order against him. I really hoped that somehow, he'd turn out stable enough to still be involved in our children's life, because no mother wants her kids growing up without a father, but after the stalking I went to see a family lawyer who by court ordered him to stay away from myself and the kids until he showed that he was stable. He was ordered to go to therapy and his therapist sends in a weekly report to the court. Last time I spoke to the lawyer he indicated that I will be contacted whenever the court is satisfied with Cameron's progress.

So, after the circus of a marriage, one would think that I'd steer clear of the male species and keep out of trouble, but guess who never learns? Me! Why did I have to go and sleep with my new boss. Yes, I know he's hot and charming, but still I could've said no. To make matters worse, he's practically engaged, while I started planning a future. Not really, but I do like him more than I should. Fuck! Guess I'll never learn.

My inner battle was interrupted by the ping of my phone notifying me that I received a new message from an unsaved number. A loud gasp left my mouth as I opened the picture of Domenico with his arms wrapped around a beautiful lady. The picture was taken from a newspaper with the caption: "Wedding Bells for Domenico Lombardi?". A frown plastered on my face as I zoomed in on the picture and much to my disappointment noticed the engagement ring on the woman's finger. "So that's why he didn't try to call" I thought as my heart sank and my dark mood become even worse. "Mother fucker!" I said loudly not even bothering to establish whose number the picture came from. I was seething as I got up to prepare lunch for the kids, my mind swarming with ideas on how to hurt that bastard.