Chapter 22

Domenico's POV

A knock on the door interrupted the comfortable silence enveloping us as we sat in front of the fireplace. We haven't spoken a lot, but we didn't fight either, and for me that's enough. Having Mika right here with me was enough. With no talks of the past, present and future to bring on an argument. I sigh as I get up to open the door. The urgency of the knocks bringing on a feeling of approaching doom.

My eyes widen when I take in my mother's livid expression. Right behind her stood an evenly enraged Arianna. "What do you think you're doing Domenico?" she asked as she pushed pass me where I stood in the doorway. "Mom, wait!" I called after her. My eyes pleading with her to stop. However, she was as stubborn as can be and the only thing that I could do was follow her to the living room, with Arianna in tow.

A gasp left Arianna's lips as she took in Mika's frame in front of the fireplace. Her eyes were closed as she kept circling the wine in her hand. "Well, explain Domenico! I'm planning our wedding while you are having an affair" Arianna seethed. Arianna's high-pitched voice snapped Mika out of her dream-like state, and she slowly turned around taking in the two livid women in front of her. "Good afternoon Mrs. Lombardi" she said to my mother. I inhaled deeply as I took in her calm face. "You bitch! Who do you think you are trying to steal my fiancé?" Arianna screamed as she approached Mika. "Arianna calm yourself" my mother said to her as she went up to Mika. A slap sounded through the room as my mother's hand landed to Mika's cheek. "You will get out right now and if I ever see you again, there will be hell to pay" she spat out to Mika. Shocked, I just stood there and watch Mika leave.