Chapter 18

Mika's POV

I packed the last of my stuff, my mood stormy. The fact that I have to leave my kids so soon and face Domenico doesn't sit well with me. Even though we weren't an item, I was really into him and a small part of me hoped that he might feel the same, but the evidence says otherwise. And no, I'm not talking about the article in the newspaper, because I'm not dumb enough to believe everything that the media feeds me. What upsets me however is that somehow someone in their circle loathed the idea of me so much that they made the effort in acquiring my number in order to send a picture of the article to me. That says a lot. I tried calling the number, but to no avail. Suddenly the monotone voice on the other end of the line indicated that the number does not exist. That made me think that the person was afraid that I'd find out who they are and expose them to Domenico, not that I would though. I obviously mean nothing to him judging by the looks of his recent engagement or whatever the fuck it is.

I sighed again fed up with myself. I really should focus on enjoying my last few hours with my children instead of focusing on a man whom I should've never gotten involved with. As if knowing of my inner turmoil my daughter came from behind and wrapped her arms around my legs. "We are going to miss you mommy. When will you be back again?" she asked sniffing. "As soon as possible Lilly, mommy still have a lot of work to do back in Italy, but once I come back I won't leave again" I turned around and gave her a reassuring smile as I looked at her teary eyes.

The rest of the day went by in a blur. I tried to spend as much time with the kids before I had to leave for the airport, but in the end, I had to leave and leave my kids behind again. I watched my crying kids through the window of the cab and my heart ached at the sight. As soon as they were out of sight I broke down and cried my heart out.