Chapter 31

It was completely quiet in the hospital. I was bored out of my mind as I scrolled through the tv channels. Anna left a while ago and Domenico never returned. It's been four days and I haven't heard anything from him after he supposedly went to shower. I bet that he's with his fiancé right now. Men are trash.

I gave up on the search and decided to sleep since it's too late to call the kids. Just as I settled in bed, a message notification sounded on my phone. I turned to check it and I felt my breath hitch as I took in the brief message: "You will receive papers for your immediate dismissal tomorrow. That counts for both countries. Please do the right thing and sign. Your doctor indicated that you will be discharged after two more days. Your ticket is booked for your flight home. Full details will be sent to you via email. Domenico Lombardi". To say I was shocked was an understatement. This bastard just fired and discarded me in one message. Anger coursed through me when I think about how he kept pursuing me while I didn't want to be involved with him, how he got engaged and slept with Arianna after he slept with me. How he allowed his mother and fiancé to humiliate me without saying a word. How I was in this goddamn hospital bed because of what happened. "Stupid, stupid woman" I cursed myself. I was mad at him, his mother, his fiancé, but most of all I was mad at myself. Mad at myself for allowing myself to feel things for him that I shouldn't, for allowing them to treat me that way, for allowing myself to act like I did and be mad at them for calling me out on my bullshit, for doing to another woman what was done to me. "You're the only one to blame Mika. You made yourself cheap and this is a result of your choices. You deserve this" I thought to myself.

I logged onto my phone and checked for online tickets. Domenico can keep his company's money. He can even keep my dignity. I am going home on my own and then I will be working on myself, healing and work from there. I have enough money to keep me and my kids going, so we will be fine. I sat up straight as I pressed the button to call the nurse.