Chapter 20

Domenico's POV

"Nico, what's wrong?" Anna asked as she closed the door behind her. I looked up slowly and quietly answered: "I told Mika about the wedding". She came around my desk and embraced me. We just sat quiet for a while. "Want to talk about it?" she asked. "Well, what's there to say? She hates me. She just said that she'll find a replacement before the wedding then up and left" I replied while running my hand through my already messy hair.

"I don't think she hates you, Nico. I just think that she's hurt right now and processing things. I still think it's for the best that things ended between you two. You do know that mom was the one who notified her about the engagement right? Do you think she'll ever allow you to be with Mika? We both know that's not going to happen" Anna said again, a look of sympathy on her face. "Yeah, I know" I sighed. "I haven't told her everything though". I said again. She just looked at me to continue. "You know how we always knew that I'd marry Arianna, but couldn't stand her? Well, that changed. I slept with her". A sharp intake of breath was heard, making me and Anna look up. In the doorway stood Mika, hurt written all over her face, but that changed in the blink of an eye.

"Mika, I-" I started, but was cut short when she came to the desk and placed a folder on it. "I'm sorry to interrupt Mister and Miss Lombardi. It was rude of me not to knock. Would you please be so kind as to look at the document and send it back to me before tomorrow?" she asked calmly, not a trace of her previous sadness was seen. I just nodded and she left.

"Woah! That was intense. Are you sure you two didn't have something going on in the past?" Anna tried to joke. "Yeah, sometimes it feels like I've known her forever. I can't explain it to you, but she makes me feel vulnerable" I replied. "Sounds like you're in love, Nic. Or maybe it's just a phase and you forget about her the moment she leaves" she tried lightening my mood again. "I wouldn't be this miserable if I thought it was possible. I knew she was different from the moment I saw her Anna. Maybe, I am in love, I don't know. I just know that I never felt this way before and that seeing her hurt, hurts me." I said softly. Anna looked at me in pity. "I have an idea, why don't you take the day off and just go somewhere to take your mind off everything?" I'll handle all the urgent stuff, hm?" I got up and kissed her on the cheek. "Thanks sis. I owe you one". I got up and left, not noticing the sly look on her face.