forty, t is for trauma

"hey, miguel. it's y/n," a giggle leaves y/n's lips, "again. feels like i've been here everyday for an eternity. i don't have anyone left, you're the only one. tory got expelled, and i think sam pressed charges against her, i'm not sure we're not friends anymore. aisha left, her mom decided it wasn't safe for her here anymore, and i-uh-i haven't talked to hawk these last two weeks."

y/n shifted on the uncomfortable hospital chair, her hand holding miguel's as she spoke to him. the last few weeks had been hell for the girl, having to see her best friend the way she saw her brother hurt her in ways she never thought she could hurt.

"i go back to school this morning, hopefully it won't suck too much. although, i'm sure it will." she laughs, checking the clock on the wall. "alright, i've got to go. wish me luck, and please wake up soon. we all need you back." she leans down and places a soft kiss to the boys hand before walking out of the hospital and to her car.

after the brawl, every student involved had gotten suspend for two weeks. since tory initiated it she was expelled, and robby was being searched for by the cops.

y/n drove towards west valley high, her face now healed from the events that had taken place that horrible day. the cut on her hand wasn't as bad anymore, just a pink scar.

it was her second first day of school, and she was dreading it more than her first first day. she parked in a empty spot, grabbing her backpack and locking her car before going inside the high school.

as she got to the front entrance she noticed the security searching every backpack, "awesome." she sighed, throwing her bag up onto the table to have it checked.

the security passed the metal detector through it, not sensing anything and giving y/n her bag back. slinging it over her shoulders she noticed the people she least wanted to see, cobras.

they were face to face with some miyagi-dos, right in the middle and blocking the entry way. the counselor approached and they dispersed away from each other.

mitch slapped hawk on the shoulder with the back of his hand, signaling towards the girl who walked past them doing her best to avoid them all.

in an instant hawk was jogging up to her. he felt terrible for not making any effort to talk to her these past weeks. all he wanted was to make she was okay, he knew he had messed up. after working so hard to get to the bottom of the past hatred, a new one had sprouted.

he could only think about how much this was affecting her. knowing miguel and her were the closest out of their, now nonexistent, friend group. he also knew about what had happened to her brother, which was what miguel was in now, a coma.

"y/n," the h/c haired girl continued walking as she ignored the boy behind her, "y/n, can we talk? i'm sorry."

she maneuvered her way past the students in the halls and to her class as she continued to ignore the boy behind her. "hey, y/n. sorry about miguel, i hope he's doing better." y/n smiled at the girl in the hallway, "thanks, mika."

"y/n, come on, please." hawk begged, he reached out and grabbed her upper arm only for her to immediately yank it away. she turned around, moving away from the middle of the hallway.

"don't fucking touch me. i don't want to talk to you, there's nothing to say. to any of you." y/n stated, looking at the cobras that had appeared behind hawk.

hawk sighed, running his hand over his face as she turned around and walked off again. angrily he groaned, punching the locker next to him and startling a few of the students around.

the school day went by as expected, boring and tiring. as of now y/n was in her last period, waiting for the last twenty minutes to be over.

her phone vibrated on the desk and she picked it up, looking at the message displayed on the screen.

carmen diaz
y/n, miguel's awake!

y/n's mood instantly lifted, and her posture straightened as she reread the text over and over to make sure she wasn't seeing things.

a smile appeared on her face, and she hurriedly closed her notebook. she tossed her stuff inside her backpack, grabbing it off the chair and slinging it over her shoulders as she stood.

"miss. l/n, where do you think you're going." the teacher asked, prompting students to turn and look her way.

"i-i have to go, it's an emergency." y/n stated rather quickly as she hurriedly walked out of the classroom.

inside the classroom hawk looked back at mitch, eyebrows furrowed.

y/n ran out of the building as fast as she could, all the way to her car. she tossed her things inside before getting in herself and starting it up, putting her seatbelt on before driving off towards the hospital.

"ms.diaz! is he okay?how long ago did he wake up?" y/n questioned instantly upon arriving outside of miguel's room.

"just a little bit ago, i was just about to talk to the doctor. you can go in and see him, i'm sure he'll be happy to see you." carmen smiled at the girl as the doctor approached her to talk.

y/n cautiously walked inside the room, miguel too busy looking at a fruit basket to notice her. "it's nice, huh? mr.larusso brought it for you a few days ago."

the tan boy's head snaps towards the door, a wide smile soon spreading across his face. "y/n!" he practically yells with excitement.

"miguel!" y/n copies, giggling at him. she walks over towards him, quick to lean down and embrace him. "i knew you'd wake up, i'm glad you did." she smiles.

he almost pays no mind to what she says, "what is it?" y/n questions, turning around to look at whatever he's lookin at.

she quickly understands the look of sadness in his face as she sees the doctor and his mom, carmen now in tears.

he looks away from the window and at his feet, and y/n takes notice. grabbing his hand in hers she's quick to reassure him, "hey, you're gonna be okay, miggy."

"what if i'm not?"

"you will be."