forty-one,broken trust

y/n has spent almost the whole day at the hospital. she's still excited at the fact that miguel is awake, but the news carmen had told her caused her heart to ache for her best friend.

the doctor had told carmen that miguel may not walk again, the thought alone horrified both y/n and carmen, as well as yaya. not to mention miguel who was the one in the situation.

as y/n walked back to the room, coffee and a gelatin in her hands, she noticed sensei lawrence in the room.

staying back she also noticed the tears now rolling down miguel cheeks as he spoke, "i trusted you. i did everything that you told me."

"miguel, i-"

"look at me!" he sobbed even more as johnny stayed quiet. "get out of here."

"miguel, you can't—"

"just get out of here!" miguel says louder, "please, just leave."

as johnny leaves his eyes look down at y/n who stood still by the doorway. she had no idea what to do now as miguel cried.

she placed the coffee and snack down next to the various bears and flowers on the stand by the bed.

"hey, do you want me to leave? i can come back tomorrow." she quietly speaks up.

with tears still in his eyes miguel shakes his head, "no, you can stay."

"okay. um, here," she grabs her backpack from the recliner in the corner, pulling out a comic. "i brought this for us to read, i don't really like this stuff but i know you do." she smiled sympathetically.

"i saw demetri in the comic store when i was getting it, he said it was a new issue. i don't really know though." she giggles.

miguel wipes at his cheeks, laughing at her cluelessness.

they spend a few minutes reading the comic, well more like he was reading it and y/n was only looking at the pictures.

"uh, so what's happened these past few weeks?" miguel speaks up, breaking the silence.

"not much really." y/n crosses her arms and rests them on the hospital bed.

"pretty much all i told you while you were asleep-"

"you mean in a coma." miguel clarifies.

"asleep." y/n contradicts, "i had just gone back to school today, after the mandatory suspension for being involved in the fight. aisha moved away, river did too. tory was expelled and so was ro–"

she clears her throat, trying not to mention the person who had caused miguel to be here.

"i think tory's on probation. i haven't talked to her, or any of the cobras"

"why not?" miguel furrowed his eyebrows.

"i quit karate, miguel." she frowned.

she changed the subject a bit, "sam's been asking about you, like a lot. it's fucking annoying." she laughs a little.

miguel smiles and they both go quiet for a bit. "what about you and hawk? are you guys-"

"that's over." y/n quickly dismisses, retrieving her arms and looking anywhere but at miguel.

"what?"

"i told you, i haven't talked to any of the cobras."

"y/n...it's hawk."

"so?"

"it took you guys so long to admit you liked each other. when you guys were going on dates all he talked about when we hung out was you. you both-"

"it's over, okay? can we just drop it?" y/n quickly glances up at miguel, realizing she just snapped at him. "sorry, i would just rather not think about it."

miguel tilted his head and she sighed, "he didn't try to talk to me, okay? after everything happened he went to the dojo with the other cobras. he didn't wait at the hospital, he didn't ask if i was okay. he wasn't there, miguel. the two weeks we were suspended he didn't bother to call me, or text me, or knock on my door. he was at cobra kai. i don't trust him, or any of them, anymore."

"y/n, i'm sure he was just-"

"don't justify what he did. would you have done that to sam?"

"what does she have to do with this?"

"you love sam, right? you would've been there."

miguel stays quiet, not knowing how to respond.

"i'm not saying i love hawk. i'm just saying, if he cared even the slightest he wouldn't have done that."

"you're right, he wouldn't have." miguel nodded.

—time skip—

"hey, bro." hawk greeted miguel, "hey." miguel replied.

"you good? i like the spot." miguel laughs at hawk's commentary.

"holding up?" the mohawked boy questions.

"as much as i can." miguel replies. he looks up at his friend, "are you?"

hawk pulls up one of the chairs closer to miguel's bed, sitting down. "well, yeah. you're finally awake, we all knew you'd wake up!" he gently punched his shoulder.

miguel chuckled, shaking his head. "i'm not talking about that. y/n was in here yesterday."

"oh?"

"yeah, she told me about what went down after. how she quit cobra kai."

hawk nods, looking down at the floor. "i'm guessing she also told you about how she ended it—us i mean."

miguel nodded.

"it's whatever, man. i'm over it, to be honest."

miguel shakes his head, "no, you're not. why weren't you there?" he asks, "for her." clarifying his question he waits for a response.

"i tried to talk to her yesterday at scho–"

"okay, what about before that?"

hawk stays quiet, shifting awkwardly in the chair.

"i thought you cared about her." miguel scoffs.

"i do okay, it's not that i don't. it wouldn't have made a difference if i had tried to talk to her before, she wouldn't have let me. you know how she is–"

"yeah, i do. the y/n i know is different from the y/n you know. she never got to show you who she really is. believe it or not she cares, especially about you, and she thinks you don't. just—i don't know—try harder, okay? deep down, she wants you to."

"she's not gonna talk to me, miguel. besides, i came to talk to you not about her. we're over, what's done is done." hawk shrugs.