fourty-three, "i wanna rock!"

it's been almost a week since miguel began his physical therapy, and almost a week since sensei lawrence had decided on taking matters into his own hands rather than leaving it for the trained, licensed professional.

"nothing has worked, y/n. this won't either." miguel huffed out in frustration.

"it'll work." johnny immediately replied.

so far the various attempts at getting miguel to walk, or even stand for the matter, had not worked at all. after nearly setting miguel on fire y/n wasn't sure about johnny's ideas anymore, but she decided to give him the benefit of the doubt for the last one.

"stop with the negative energy, miggy. be positive and just think about it working and it will." y/n smiled unsure of her own words.

you all entered the building johnny had brought you to, the hallways lit dimly and full of tough looking people leaning against the walls.

"and i thought this place looked scary from the outside." you mumble, to which miguel agreed.

"where are we sensei?" he questioned.

"it's a field trip. here, take this and follow my lead." johnny handed him some sort of black duffle bag.

he turned into the next entrance, however he was stopped shortly after he tried to.

"woah, nice try. come back when they're 21."

"yeah that's gonna be tough. he'll be dead by then."

"what?" miguel asks with concern, turning to look at johnny. "he should be dead already. everyday is a gift." johnny sighs and miguel coughs fakely.

"he's got a bucket list. getting past that door is number one on it."

with a sad look in his face miguel looks up at the guard holding up one finger.

"all right. what about her?" the guard nods towards you.

johnny looks at you, "sister, just wants to see him happy one last time."

you nod with the saddest expression you could put on your face.

"fine, go ahead. hey, good luck kid."

upon entering the room y/n and miguel finally realized where they were, a rock concert. a smile forms across your face as you watch the performance.

"how is this part of my physical therapy?" miguel questions over the loud music. "it's not," johnny starts, "just forget about all that and have some fun!" he pulls out three cans of beer, handing one to miggy and one to y/n.

with wide eyes and a big green miguel looks over at y/n before throwing his hand up in the air, "yeah!" y/n giggles at his actions.

about twenty minutes in miguel pulls out his phone and all three begin posing for the selfies. tongues out, rock hand gestures, silly faces.

"can i get a copy of those?" johnny asks.

"don't worry i'll tag you!" miguel replies, typing a caption out for his new facebook post.

"tag me? what the hell does that mean?"

y/n laughs at his cluelessness, patting him on the back, "check your facebook."

"i don't have facebook anymore, i threw my phone away!" miguel's eyebrows furrow at his answer, "it's on your computer too right?"

"yeah.."

the song ends and dee, the singer, begins speaking. "alright, so i hear there's a make a wish kid in the house tonight."

"yeah right here! right here!"

the crowd cheers and y/n laughs at miguel's embarrassed state.

"there he is." dee points, "ladies, let's make that kid's wish come true."

johnny claps as the three girls to the right of him wave at miguel, to which he waves back awkwardly.

"okay, now repeat after dee: i wanna rock!"

"rock!"

"i wanna rock!"

"rock!"

y/n gaze diverts away from the stage, the smile on her face growing bigger if possible. "holy shit!" she slaps johnny's shoulder, confused he looks at her then down to where her gaze was.

patting miguel, he points at his foot which was moving to the beat of the song.

"oh my- yes!" miguel screams out in victory. he hugs johnny and the turns to y/n who was already halfway in to hug him herself.

__________

"i still can't believe it!" y/n squealed happily as she walked from miguel's kitchen towards his couch, plopping down with bottles of water in her hand.

she hands one to him, a smile still plastered on his face. "i know!"

once they got back carmen was ecstatic to hear and see that miguel's feet were moving on their own.

"one step closer to recovery." carmen smiled before walking away from the teens and to her bedroom.

the room was silent for a few minutes, both teens scrolling on their phones. y/n smiled at the picture miguel had posted, hearting it.

"thank you, n/n." miguel finally spoke up.

"for what?" the girl question, putting her phone down and looking up at her friend.

"for being here, and helping me get back to normal."

"you don't have to thank me for that, that's what friends are for." she smiled, reaching over to place her hand on top of his for a few seconds.

"you know, tory tried to apologize to me yesterday." miguel states.

"oh, for real? how'd that go?" y/n hadn't talked to tory since the day of miguel's accident.

"good i guess, but i don't know if we'll ever be friends again—or anything else for the matter." he shrugged, a sad look on his face.

"yeah, i know what you mean. it's understandable, miggy." y/n shrugged before changing the subject a bit. "sam has been really interested in hearing about your recovery though. she texts me almost everyday asking how you're doing, said she'd text you herself but she doesn't wanna overwhelm you or something."

a small smile appeared on miguel's face.

"i know you still love her." y/n stated, "tell her that."

"i don't know."

"come on, it won't be that hard."

"then why haven't you told hawk that you love him?" with a quirked brow miguel stared at y/n, waiting for her answer.

"that's different."

'she didn't deny it.' miguel thought to himself, 'she didn't deny that she loves hawk.'

"no it's not, y/n. he told me he tried to talk to you, but you wouldn't let him. at least let him try."

"i don't know, maybe." she sighed, slumping back on the couch.

she began contemplating whether or not to talk to the boy. should she give him the time of day?