Chapter 26- Unable To See

I drummed my nails against my bare thigh just below the edge of the skirt. My eyes were still closed protecting my eyes from the bright evening light. I could hear Eric and Scott talking through the glass, but with my natural hearing it sound like mumbling. I’m sure no one knew I saw awake yet. I gently nodded my head to the music pouring into my ears from my phone. I gently sang the song, more to myself than anyone else; I enjoyed the lyrics they pulled something dark and soulful out of me.

“We killed it in cold blood, did it for so long, god rest her soul. Until there was no love, until it was all gone, nothing could grow. We killed it in cold blood.” I opened my eyes to welcome the harsh constriction of my pupils, I kept my eyes wide as I was momentarily blinded by burn spots. I blinked my eyes quickly and looked to my right to see Logan smirking at me. I pulled out an earphone as Logan opened his mouth.

“Nice singing Bub.” Truthfully I couldn’t tell if he was joking or telling me the truth. I pushed my earphone back into my ear and tried to ignore his ridiculous smirk.

“Thanks.” I said quietly and huffed leaning my elbow on the edge of the car window and watched as the tarmac road neared a set of gates with the signature ‘X’ protecting the mutants inside.

The car dove down the long straight drive, I looked past the building to see students playing on the sports field. I didn’t want to think of what Ruth had shown me, but I recognized each of their faces, but the only time I had seen them, was when they fought next to me with battered and scared skin, waiting for the next onslaught of attacks from the opposition, each of them ready to give up and back down.

I pulled my eyes away and looked down into my lap; I didn’t want to condemn these mutants, these children. I know they had seen the anger of anti-mutant protesters but they were not trained for anything of this magnitude, and I knew that the future Ruth had shown me was so close I could almost taste it. The metallic coppery taste of blood, salty tastes of sweat and tears, and the sour perfume of death.

I looked at the children with happy and joy filled smiles using the powers in a simple game of baseball, so oblivious to what was bound to come. I couldn’t do this to them. I couldn’t expect any especial mutants as young as them to fight alongside of me in this war.

As soon as the car stopped I slammed open the door with my magnetic powers and stormed into the mansion. I had left the man who was in a coma a matter of hours ago for some emergency that hadn’t been explained to me. I was not in the mood for bullshitting.

I morphed my once casual skater dress into a pair of black leather and jean pants, and replaced the dress with a sharply cut green blouse, I ran my hands over the appearing lapels of my coat, the heavy leather and gold armor across it did not hold me back, as a pair of black leather and gold embellished armory boots strapped themselves to my feet and calves.

I could hear Eric’s, Scott’s and Logan’s approaching footsteps. I Slammed open the doors to the school to welcome the shocked gaze of students as I marched through the halls of the school. They stared after me as I marched towards the scattered signature of Ruth which was closely situated to the strong and pulsating mind of Charles Xavier.

I didn’t knock on Charles’ office door. He already knew I was here. I opened the door magnetically and looked to see Ruth and Xavier. Charles was sitting behind his desk and Ruth stood next to him. The stain glass window behind him case rose colored shapes across the room as I stood there in the suns colorful glare.