Chapter 3- Wet Pavement

I wiped the tears falling from my eyes. The pain in my chest continued to grow, as I pushed my way through the busy streets of New York. I deserved this, the person that I don’t give a personal goodbye to, forgives me, but the man who had to stand there and see me leave, hates me. I sniffed and ran through the densely packed streets. I wanted to curl up in a corner and die. People gave me strange looks as I shoved past them. Soon the rain began to pour from the swollen sky; I sighed and pulled up the collar of my blazer, as the heavy drops crawled down the back of my neck and down the back of my dress. I wish I could transform my clothes right here, but that would draw too much attention.

 I sniffed again, and carried on walking I soon wandered away from the main crowd of the New York public and continued to walk until I spotted a singular bar, sitting dimly lit on a street corner. In the normal day light this place would look seedy and unwelcoming, but with the hazy orange glow of the laps outside and the sign that read, “The Old Traveller.” I sighed as it meant an escape from the rain. I ducked inside and saw the place was only inhabited by a few select people, most of which wanting to be away from the hustle and bustle of New York.

I sighed and looked around; I saw a small arrow sign reading, “Ladies.” I walked up to it and looked to my left to see a single door with the word, “Ladies.” Painted upon it. I quickly walked towards it and avoided the gaze of everyone in the small bar. I sighed as I clambered into a stall. I waved my hand over my wet dress and blazer and transformed them into a pair of dry black dress pants, a white shirt and a new dry black blazer. I stepped out of the stall and looked into the bathroom mirror; I took away my smudged and dripping mascara and replaced it with a new coat. I dragged my finger across my lips painting them deep red. I sighed and stepped out of the bathroom.

One man’s head turned in my direction as the door creaked open. He placed a suggestive smirk on his lips, which made me turn away in disgust. I sighed and walked up to the bar. I slid myself onto one of the few cushioned bar stools and smiled at the bar man. He looked to be in his late fifty’s when he raised an eye brow at me.

“I usually say customers only when people come looking for the bathroom, but now that you’re sitting here it doesn’t matter.” I smiled up at the greying man who smiled back.

“What can I getcha’ darling’?” I smiled and looked at the long row of spirits.

“Can I have a Vodka and coke please?” the old man nodded and turned his back to me to make my drink.

 “Place it on my Tab, John.” Both I and the bar tender looked to our rights, to see a man wearing a western cowboy style hat and black side burns. The bar tender, named John nodded.

“Sure thing Logan.” My eyes widened at the man’s name. I nodded his hat to me and looked down at his drink. I saw the glint of a more than average length canine which was chewing on a toothpick.

“Thanks.” I mumbled to the man and the mutant who calls himself Wolverine. Soon the glass filled with what looked like coke with the reflection of oil was slid in front of me. I picked it up steadily and took three large gulps, leaving the glass empty and my emotional state still intact. I sighed and watched the remnants of my drink swirl at the bottom of my glass.