Chapter 8- Trying To Save My Mind

I could hear myself screaming as my mind was forced sharply into her mind. It was like falling down the rabbit hole, her memories and future ones blended into one another. My mind was being pulled between the scenes by the seams. I wanted to close my eyes block out the scenes in front of me. I looked around me as I was pushed further into her conscious. Then I saw me, I was smiling, I looked blissful, then I saw a second person, but before any significant features could be made out, I saw pulled away. I wanted to stay there I could feel my future happiness fill my heart making it swell. But as I continued down the rabbit hole, my future became much darker. Soon I could hear my future screams and cries.

Suddenly I was slammed to the side into a scene of destruction.

I was running.  My body was pushing hard as I climbed over broken concrete and twisted metal. I looked out over a broken city to see iron man, battling mutants protecting the innocent. Suddenly the scene flipped to show Thor raising his hammer high into the air commanding his powers, allowing lightening to crack through the sky and down to Thor creating a huge shock wave pushing back mutants left right and center. Then I looked to my left to see the hulk bating away the rogue mutants. He was running towards me.

The scene warped clawing through my mind, bringing me to my limit of expansion. Hulk carried me towards my destination, as I swung my scepter down into the rogue mutants slicing through their skins like paper, as blood spattered up into my face. I looked up into the red streaked sky to see Blackbird fly overhead. Ruth wanted to show me more, but I could hear myself screaming through her. But she forced me further. The scene switched causing my mind fade away like sand in the wind, making me limitless. I could hear voices of other mutants mental and verbal as I travelled through her towards the foreseeable future.

There I was, I was using my mind as I was staring down a man dressed all in black. He seemed to have a sway over the rogue mutants, and now all there was, was a battle of minds. Blood ran from my nose, as blood began to trickle out from his ears, as my mental force we were exerting was more that any human could ever achieve. Then I saw it the flash of light reflected in a glass blade, the mutant stood behind me as the leader nodded. He charged forward, with death in his eyes, and then something miraculous happened.

I felt my nerve ending screaming out for the end, for sweet release, but I had to see. My mind was broken so badly there was no reason to stop. I could feel hot tears run down my face, as my mind faced this soon ending torture. Then I saw it, I pushed myself towards the scene, and saw it. Eric jumped in front of the mutant determined to kill me and took the killing blow. The glass slammed into his abdomen causing blood to pour. He didn’t look at his own injury as he quickly magnetized a fallen bullet shell and slammed it into the mutant’s skull. I looked over my shoulder, losing the battle against the leader. Who mouthed over the deafening silence, causing his mutant followers to fall back.

Eric clutched at the glass dagger. I quickly scrambled over to him, as he began to fall. His back slammed against the blood soaked ground, I fell onto my knees on the ground next to him. I placed my hand over his, and pulled the offending object from his body, covered in his thick dark blood. Then almost as if the world slowed down. I brushed my blood dampened hair away from my blood spattered face, and leaned down to him. I could see the beads of sweat slowly trail down from his temple, as his lips slightly puckered waiting for the kiss. Then our lips touched. Then it all came crashing down, all too fast. This world became blocked by others, as I was roughly pulled away, someone was trying to save me, they were trying to save my mind.

With each inch I moved away from the future I could feel my mind slowly stitch itself together, reconnecting the neurons and nerve endings. I could feel parts of my body twitch as I was pulled from Ruth’s mind. But waking up was never easy.

My mind was still trying to heal itself, make the necessary check, making sure that my legs will work when I do wake up. Making sure the trauma hasn’t disrupted my eye sight, my body twitched for time to time, trying to make sure my senses still worked. I could now and again smell the smell of sweat and bleach. I could sometimes feel the soft cotton sheets surrounding me. I would sometimes get a glimpse of the dark room I lay in, but I couldn’t form a memory of it. Then I would hear the sound of quiet snoring and the taste of iron in my mouth. My lungs could work on their own, allowing me to take shallow breaths, so shallow it must have been hard to see if I was alive or not. If I was to believe Ruth’s precognitive visions then I would get through this fine. I could feel the warmth of my god like powers surround me flowing between my nerves and cells making sure I was safe and in working order.

I soon began to open my eyes. I looked around me to see a dim table light to my left, illuminating its own little corner, just enough so I could make out the outline of my body underneath the thick covers. I yawned and wiggled my toes causing the bed sheets to shudder. I smiled and looked finally to my right. I was expecting Logan to be sat there snoring, but it definitely wasn’t Logan. His hair was very light grey with streaks of bright white through it, his head was bent forward, causing his chin to rest on his chest causing him to snore. This was Eric Lehnsherr, he had light crow’s feet on the edge of his eyes, and for a man who should be almost triple my age, he looked like he was only just turning forty. I wanted to wake him, asked what happened after I entered Ruth’s mind, but it seemed unfair to wake the man who had been looking over me. It was strange, I hadn’t even met the man, and yet he sat here uncomfortably waiting for me.

I slowly slipped out of the left side of the bed and padded gently across the soft carpeted floor. I looked down at Eric Lehnsherr. I smiled down at him and watched as the gold mist wrapped around him and formed as light blanket gently draped over him, his snoring softened into gentle breath. I nodded to myself and walked towards the door, leaving behind the man I was yet to meet.