Chapter 31- Closer and Closer

Sweat dripped from my forehead steadily and splashed against the rubberised floor of the gym. My breathing was heavy laboured and moist. I wanted to fall down to my knees as the weight on my back forced me to double over. I looked out of the corner of my eye to see Logan saying something to me, I was guessing it was encouragement but right now all I heard was mumble, mumble, and mumble. I groaned and snapped my teeth together. Come on.

I growled and screamed as I straightened my knees. The cold steel bar weighed heavily on my shoulders as my eyes instinctively looked forward to see Hank furiously jotting down notes. When I stood fully up, as quickly lifted the weight over my head and slammed it to the rubber ground. I gasped from precious air as lifting that six hundred kilo gram weight. My gauze covered hands rested on my knees as I breathed heavily.

"You did good Kid." I wasn't listening to a word he was saying now. My body trembled from the physical exhaustion. It was nice to find out how physically strong I was, but it could only be achieved through dropping all my barriers and masks. I felt sick.

I collapsed to my knees suddenly as my muscles began to give up on me. They weren't used to this. They usually had time to heal, to recuperate but no, Logan wanted to push me hard and fast. Logan quickly ran towards me. Had he already forgotten? I raised my arm hand splayed out magnetically stopping Logan in his tracks.

"You can't help me Logan, not until I have enough strength to get my shields back up." I let go of Logan and sat there watching my sweat drip off my chin. Logan stood next to me, and looked down at me as I sat there on my knees.

"How long do you think that'll be kid?" I shrugged, as I felt my barriers slowly build up brick by brick as my mental strength replaced the physical. Soon I felt the crackle of electricity leave my damp skin and recede back into my nerves.

"It'll be about now." I said as I tried to stand up. My ankles suddenly faltered causing me to hurtle towards the ground face first. Logan quickly grabbed my scar etched shoulders and pulled me up against his chest. My body felt sore, it felt raw.

"I take it you don't exercise much?" I chuckled as I rested against Logan. Suddenly I was pulled up into Logan's arm. I pulled all the tension from my muscles causing me to become limp in Logan's arms.

"You don't need her do you Hank?" Hank shook his head as he looked down at me sympathetically.

"I promise it'll get easier Liberty." I wanted nod, but right now I had no physical strength.

"I hope it does." I spoke mentally as my eyes began to draw to a close.

I felt each of Logan's heavy footsteps as we wandered through the corridors. I could hear the mortified gasps from both students and teachers alike. They saw me in that state and what were they to think.

I could feel my muscles slowly heal, but not quickly enough to use soundly. I hated this feeling, I felt completely useless. I suddenly felt Logan throw me over his shoulder.

"just because right now I can't move does not mean you can treat me like a rag doll Logan." I heard his deep chuckle as the click of the door handle welcomed me into my room. He gently laid me down on my plush bed. I felt the bed sink in next to me.

"I'm sorry I did this to you kid." I mustered enough strength, to open my eyes to see him staring at me with wide sky blue eyes. I sighed and tensed up my muscles' wanted to move so badly, but body just screamed, 'no it hurts' and I knew when to listen to my body and went not too.

I groaned in pain as I moved myself into a sitting position, my back rested against the headboard and my posterior nicely seated on my pillows.

"It's not your fault I'm weak." Logan shook his head and looked down at me.