Chapter 2- Heart Breaking Cry

I wanted to stand here for years, with her in my arms. I missed her so much. Her face was buried in the crook of my neck as I held her body close to mine. Soon she moved her head up to look me in the eye. He hadn’t changed at all. Her skin was still that flawless porcelain flush, she smiled at me, and took a step away.

“You look well.” She stated kindly, I knew I had aged within that six year period, yet time stood still around her, keeping her youthful and never aging. I pushed my glasses up onto my nose and smiled at her,

“Thank you but I know I look much older that the last time you saw me.” She shook her head and looked up at me with tear filled eyes.

“I saw you every day Bruce, I’ve watched you grow older gracefully over these last few years.” I felt tears prick the corners of my eyes and gave a small sniff; I looked over to a seat where I had placed my jacket. I smiled at Liberty and rushed over to it. I pulled out a lilac handkerchief and pressed it against my eyes, and my nose.

“I take it you know that I still have you letter?” Liberty nodded and picked it up from the work top.

“Yeah, I’ve listen to you reading it now and again. I also know that Tony doesn’t know you still have it.” Suddenly the pieced of paper turned into smouldering ash without a fire. My mouth was hanging open, she blew the ashes toward me and they spread out in a cloud of silver and bronze, as they slowly disappeared.

“Why did you do that?” I asked quietly. That was the last thing I had of her, what happens if she suddenly leaves, what will I have of her then?

“Because you’re not going to need that anymore, I’m never going to say good bye again.” She smiled and looked over her shoulder.

“Tony’s here.” Suddenly the elevator door pinged open.

“Bruce I thought it would be nice if I got you some shawarma, you know because I’m such a nice guy.” Liberty gave a sad smile, as Tony looked down into the white plastic bag of fast food.

“Hello Tony.” Liberty voice trembled slightly; as I saw her eyes glaze over with tears once again. Tony’s head snapped up to be welcomed by the immortal vision that was Liberty. He dropped the bag of greasy food and stood frozen for a few moments. Liberty didn’t move, unsure of what to do. I could feel a tension that was present between me and Liberty.

He slowly walked forward; I stood on guard as the tension in the room was so thick you could cut it with a knife. Liberty began to walk towards him with a trembling smile.

“Why are you back?” Liberty took a step back. Tony’s voice was cold and uncaring almost like he had to ask out of necessity. I walked over to Liberty and stood next to her.

“She back because she wants to see us.” Tony walked over to his bar and grabbed a glass tumbler. “Do you really think this is a good time to drink?” Tony shook his head and poured the glass full of whiskey.

“I think it a great time Bruce.” Tony raised the glass and gulped down the drink fast.

“Let’s celebrate the woman who left us without a real explanation.” He said it in a whiney voice as he filled the glass again. I was about to speak,

“Don’t Bruce; I knew that this could happen.” Her voice inside my mind was quiet and filled with pain but still calm. She stepped away from me and towards the window; she pressed her hand against the glass, and soon it began to shatter underneath her hand but splayed out as if it was weightless. I ran towards her,

“I thought you weren’t leaving again?” she smiled at me and ran her fingertips over my cheek causing me to smile.

“I’m not, I’ll still be in New York, I just think its best if I give tony some time.” I nodded soon she moved her body fully through the glass shattering the whole window, after she left the area of the glass fragments the window reformed without a single scratch, as she plummeted to the ground unscathed.

I twisted around and saw Tony scowling at the place where Liberty once stood.

“What the hell is wrong with you?!” I shouted. Tony looked at me with wide eyes.

“Liberty was the reason Pepper left me!” He shouted as he threw his tumbler across the room and into the window where Liberty had fallen from. I ran up to him, I could feel the hulk rise up in me, like an uncontrollable fire. I grabbed him by the collar of his shirt, my vision blurred with rage. “Pepper left you because the woman you wanted was Liberty not her!” I threw Tony away from me and began to take deep breaths,

“How could you blame her for that?! She came back for us and all you can do is blame her for things she had no involvement in!” I my heart hammered in my chest, as my breathing became erratic.

“Pepper left you because all you talked about was Liberty, you missed her more than I did, and you just can’t admit it.” I said quietly as my heart slowed to its normal pace, I shook my head and looked down through the window which had a single hair line crack in it from Tony’s hissy fit.

“I’m going to find Liberty, she needs to now that at least one of us still cares, even if you pretend you don’t.” I walked away from the window, and shoved past Tony as I stepped into the elevator. The last image I saw of that room was Tony falling onto his knees with tears rolling from his eyes and a heart breaking cry falling from his mouth.