Chapter 49

Chapter 49

I had to admit that I was almost a bit disappointed when I saw Lou's rental car pull up to the station at a mere two thirty in the morning. 

I didn't want to face what was waiting for me back at the hotel. 

"Oh my god, Alyssa," she said as she pushed the glass doors open, reflecting the light from inside. "What did you do?"

"I honestly don't know," I said. She pulled me in for a hug. "Do you want to see my mugshot?"

"Come on, let's get back to the hotel, everybody was so worried about you. They still are," she said, tugging on my arm. 

"I just got arrested," I said. "You think I can just walk out of here?"

We spent another twenty minutes getting everything in order so that I could legally leave. I got my bag back, with my phone, that had dozens of missed calls and texts. 

"Bye, Alyssa. It was nice to meet you," the officer said. 

"Your son likes One Direction?" I asked, recalling an earlier conversation. He nodded. "You'll be hearing about me real soon." I winked. Lou and I walked back into her car. 

"What the hell happened?" She asked as I went into the car. 

"Look at my mugshot," I said, holding it out for her to see. "My son will never believe me." When Lou didn't look right away, I held it in my lap so I could look at it again.

"Shut up about your mugshot! What did you do to get arrested? This isn't funny!" She said as I continued to laugh at my mugshot. 

"It actually is pretty funny," I said. I told her everything that had happened, how I wasn't allowed in the floor of my room because the guard didn't think I was part of the crew, and how I ended up getting arrested. 

She was just as confused as I was. 

"That doesn't make any sense," She said. "You needed to have done something illigal to get arrested."

"That's what I thought too!" I said. "Can we just tell everybody that I had to go to jail and you had to bail me out? I want to at least get a good story out of this."

"No, I won't!" She said more aggressively. "You are responsible for another life now! You can't just go about getting arrested!"

"I didn't do anything wrong!" I shot back. "It was that stupid guard!"

"Do you know how worried everybody was? Niall thought that you ran off, he was in tears. I thought that you got abducted, and everybody else had different ideas. I'll have you know everybody was worried out of their minds, and you're acting like it's no big deal. You have his baby."

I sat for a second in silence, the only noise was the car engine and the wind. The roads were empty at this hour. 

Maybe I was being a bit selfish about this, but none of it was my fault. All I wanted to do was go to bed, and now it was 3:30 am. 

"I didn't think that any of this was going to happen," I said. "It's not my fault."

"I'm not frustrated with you because you made the decision to get arrested, because you didn't, but because you're acting like you don't even care, flaunting your mugshot and wanting me to lie to everybody and say that you were in jail."

I was quiet again. She was right. I knew that we were getting closer to the hotel. I recognized the street from my ride to the station, but things had looked a lot different from inside a cop car. 

"I'm sorry," I said genuinely. "I should be taking this more seriously. But sometimes it's easier just to pretend like it doesn't matter. I've got a lot waiting for me at the hotel."