Chapter 27

Chapter 27

Over the next week, I had gotten a lot done. I had a doctor's appointment, I got to see my mom, we painted the walls and ordered the stuff for Owen's room, but I still kept his name a secret. 

I also began a registry online and shared it with my friends. I was starting to feel confident about being a well-fit mother. I was, however, kind of frightened about attending birthing classes. 

The doctor said that she could come to the apartment sometime and give Niall and I a few classes to prepare, but I was scared. Giving birth was overwhelming to me. I didn't know how it was possible that a baby could fit through my vagina, but she was going to explain, and I knew it would have to be painful.

Christmas was approaching and I had already told Niall not to get me tons of rich people crap just because he could. I wanted something meaningful, that I could keep forever. I was fairly easy to shop for, but Niall wasn't.

It was hard because he was so rich, he could buy anything he wanted. I knew it wouldn't matter to him what I got him, so I needed to make my gift equally special. And because his birthday gift didn't exactly work out the way we wanted to, there was even more pressure on me. 

I had thought of getting him something we could do together, but we had been taking so many risks together lately, I didn't know how much more could be risked before people started to take hint.

One day, when I was walking out to go for a walk, I was stopped by the person working the desk.

"Excuse me? Are you Alyssa Thomas, live in the penthouse?" She asked.

"That's me," I said, and walked over to her and shook her hand.

"I just wanted to know if you lived by yourself, if you have all the ownership."

"My boyfriend and I own it. I'm alone most of the time, though," I said. She looked down at the paper she was scribbling on.

"I'm going to need him to sign some papers, then. Is he around?" HAHAHHAahha shit.

I didn't know what I could say now. I had already said that I owned it with my boyfriend. I could've just have said that I owned it with a friend. I should have just said that I owned it, even though it's hooked up to his credit card.

"No, he's not. I don't know when he'll be back. I have an appointment go get to, can I see you when I get back?" I asked, trying to escape.

"Just one more quick question," she began. "Do you have any health problems? Are you, um, pregnant or have anything else?" I knew that was her way of asking me if I was pregnant without being impolite, so I nodded. 

"Yes I am. I'm due in April, but I don't know if I'll be in New York then," I said. She wrote something else on the paper.

"I'm sorry for keeping you, Miss Thomas. Whenever your boyfriend is in town next, I'm going to need him to finalize some of the paperwork if he wants to maintain partial ownership. Have a nice day," she said. And with that, I turned around and out of the door. 

I was shaken as I walked outside into the cold December air. Let's see how far I could push it back.

That all stayed in the back of my head as Niall and the boys came to New York City to shoot for Jimmy Fallon and SNL.

Niall had previously asked the boys if they wanted to crash at our place, but they rejected, out of fear of "interrupting us." 

Niall always came in the side entrance of the apartment building and still wore his disguise just in case. He sent my a text to let me know he was in the elevator, so I could let him in.