Chapter 52

Chapter 52

I was just glad that there wasn't anybody at the airport who was trying to hit on me this time around.

It was a struggle to get my luggage on and off of convayer belts, but there were a few people around who helped me do it. 

The flight was long, over 24 hours. Way too much time to think.

When I got off my flight, my phone went crazy with all of the notifications I wasn't able to get while on the plane. 

I looked through them from my lock screen, but didn't respond. I'm sure they all already knew why I did what I did. 

It was bittersweet to ride back into my apartment.

It had been so long since I had last been here in New York. So much time of things only getting worse. 

I knew that I should probably call my mom and let her know I was back in the USA, because I really wanted to see her. 

It was weird going from seeing my mom everyday to being without her for months at a time. 

I knew that was the life of every college aged person, but at least they had some time to adjust. I was always on the road.

Somebody rode the elevator with me, and I pushed my luggage to the side when they came in to make room. 

When they got off of the elevator I heard a familiar laugh. I put my hand where the door opened and retracted and listened intently for a second. 

The voice sounded exactly like my mom's. 

"Mom?" I asked, taking a step outside the elevator to look around. 

I saw her standing in the door frame of a room, looking inside. I recognized her dark hair and her figure. 

"Mom!" I said a little louder, trying to get her attention. She turned around, and it took her a minute to process that it was me. 

"Alyssa!" She said, turning completely and walking over to me. I turned back into the elevator and dragged one of my bags out. 

"Let me help you," she said, pulling the other bag out into the hallway. 

"I've missed you so much," I said, hugging her. She held me in her arms. 

"I've missed you too," she said. "Look at you! You're going to pop!" I laughed at her sense of humor, but agreed. I was about to pop. 

"What are you doing here?" I asked her. I wasn't expecting to see her when I got here. 

"I told you, I'm moving in!" She said excitedly. 

"I knew that you were moving in, but I didn't know it was this soon!" I said. I was happy that we could finally be close again. 

"What about you?" She asked. "I thought you were going to be in Australia for another two weeks."

I pressed my lips together. I didn't want to say it. It wasn't the time.

"Oh no," she said, expecting the worse. "Is everything okay?" She patted my back. 

I shook my head. Nothing was okay. 

"Not exactly," I said. "But that's a story for later." I was feeling so horrible that I couldn't stand feeling this horrible for any longer. 

I wanted to spend time with somebody who was happy. I knew that if I told my mom right away, she wouldn't be too happy. 

"Is it about your boyfriend?" She asked. I bit my lip for a second, but then was interrupted. 

"Maria?" A man's voice spoke from the room in which my mom had been standing by. Maria was my mom's name.