Chapter 98

Chapter 98

I awoke to the sound of unsteady breathing, and I rolled over expecting it to be Owen starting to cry. 

But Owen was fast asleep in the pack 'n' play. 

I rolled back over to my other side and saw Niall. 

"I'm so sorry Alyssa," there was a tone in his voice that wasn't there last night. He sounded so fragile, like he was crystal that was about to shatter any second. 

I put my hand on his face and looked into his eyes. 

"I'm sorry too," I responded, remorse in his eyes. "I should've thought things over more before snapping like that. I've just been so overwhelmed and this is all my fault."

"No-" he replied. "You shouldn't have had to find out about it like that."

He paused.

"I did a lot of remembering last night and I think I have a compromise."

My hand froze. I didn't know if I wanted a compromise, I had been compromising for so long. I just finally wanted something to go my way for once.

"I've been thinking a lot about what we said yesterday, and I just feel so bad," Niall said. "You're not selfish and sometimes I forget how lucky I am to have somebody like you to support me and always be there for me."

His blue eyes popped against the white sheets. 

"It is time for a break," He said. 

"I don't want you to stop doing what you love," I said. "If you're lucky enough to be so talented and dedicated to something, you shouldn't let anybody stop you from doing it."

Niall finally relaxed into a soft smile. 

"I want both of us to be happy, which is why I came up with a solution," Niall said. 

He ran his fingers through my hair without breaking eye contact. 

"I agree with you- I think it's time for a break. I want to keep things low for a while, maybe about a year, but still keep working on my music. Just not publicly," He began. 

"I was going to tell you this sooner, but I didn't know how you would feel about it. There are a few recording companies that have shown interest in me as a solo musician. I wasn't going to respond to them until I talked to you, though."

"Niall that's amazing!" I replied, placing both my hands on his sides and shaking him in excitement. "This is what you want to do, right?"

He playfully pushed my arms away and laughed. "Yes, but not without you."

I lay on my back so I was facing the ceiling. 

"We don't have to make any decisions right now, but it wouldn't hurt to contact them and tell them about our current situation," Niall continued. 

I pushed some of the blankets down and then faced him again. 

"Well then you should," I said, smiling. 

Niall's entire face lit up. 

"You really mean it?" He asked with wide eyes. 

"I'm a firm believer that everything happens for a reason, and that if you're faced with an opportunity, you should take it," I said.

I couldn't even finish my sentence before he pulled me in for a hug. 

"Now I can show you that song I was working on yesterday," Niall said, letting go of me and climbing out of bed.