Chapter 21: Some Kind of Awakening

AN: hey guys, just to update you all, this was supposed to be a part of another chapter, but it's taking a while to complete the whole thing so I decided to get something out since it's been a while and I'll post them bit by bit probably.
-----------------------------------

A deep yellow-red hue fills my vision. My eyes are closed… ugh… I feel like shit. I open my eyes to see Link smiling down at me. He suddenly leans down to hug me, hm… maybe it wasn't as sudden as I thought, maybe I'm just processing everything slower than usual. What happened?

"Link? What happened?'

Oh, that's right! The escort mission! One of Bastard's minions hit me with a club. What about everyone else?

"… Illia! The Zora boy! Telma! Are they all safe?! Did any of them get hurt?!" I finish.

"They're okay, calm down. You're the one who got it bad…" he says.

I sigh. What a relief.

"…" 

We stay silent for a moment. I can't think too well right now. Maybe I need more rest or something… 

"Illia got her memory back and Telma and her are with Renado treating the Zora boy."

We pull away and look at each other. So Illia did get her memory back after all! That's so great! I'm happy for her.

"Good."

He frowns. What's wrong? Did something else happen? He lowers his head, looking down.

"I'm so sorry… I'm so, so sorry, (Y/n). I'm an idiot! I messed up! I could have-"

I stare at him, my eyes naturally falling to his lips as he lifts his head up again. I reach over to caress them. They're smooth, but chapped. He has literally no reason to apologize. It was my choice after all. I cover his mouth to shut him up and he gets red and hot. Adorable. I look into his bright blue eyes. I'm so glad I took the blow for him. It's strange. I'm normally the one who doesn't care to save or rescue anyone, if they can't save themselves then why should I have to risk my life? I won't do it, I'm no hero. And yet here I am, proud of myself for being an idiot, on multiple occasions nonetheless. It's a huge reason I don't want to become a soldier. I just wouldn't be a good one, nor would I try to be a good one. I'm sure that if it were anyone else, I wouldn't have done it, any of it. This change in me… My pride in risking my life to save him from suffering, my willingness to be an idiot… How I make stupid, irrational decision around him… could it all be because of love? Is that what love does to someone? Or is it just sheer loneliness? An illusion? The only time I remember acting this way was with Edun, later on in our relationship. I'm not exactly sure, but damn am I happy he's here with me now. My lips pull up in a smile and I sigh. Why does he always blame himself for things that he had no part in?

"Shut up. You are incredible, but it's impossible to be the perfect protector you wish you were. Just look at me, haha! I decided to try and intercept the attack. It was my choice, my consequence to deal with. I'm glad I succeeded in shielding you."

"…"

He stays silent, staring into my eyes, still a bit red. He starts to breathe a little heavier as I slowly remove my hand and lean back onto the bed. I don't think I mind if I am in love with him. I just don't want to hurt him if it turns out that I'm just alone and grieving right now or if he doesn't actually like me that way, though I think he really might. I just don't want to be like my ex… I don't want to use him. I grimace as I lay back down.

"In pain?" He asks.

"Yup, but also, if I'm being honest… I'm just exhausted. I want a break from everything. Not just the fighting either."