⤷ 20

"that's a bad idea," i muttered as takashi pulled me by the hand toward the ride and told me to sit down. god, i hated ghost trains.

"what are you doing here anyway?" i asked, trying to distract myself from the fact that we were just heading inside the ride.

takashi, sitting casually next to me, grinned. "i'm visiting the funfair."

my heart almost stopped when a screaming figure suddenly appeared in front of us. i whimpered and hid my head against takashi's chest, which vibrated slightly as he laughed. "are you always this jumpy?"

"that's not funny" i hissed and straightened up as our car went around a curve with an angular movement.

"boo hoo" went takashi and i felt him put an arm around my neck and pull me towards him.

"how can you stay so calm?" i asked, and was glad when our car pushed open a door and i could finally breathe in the fresh night air again. i saw my friends standing behind the barrier, and emma stuck up a thumb when she saw takashi's arm, which had now slid down to my shoulder.

"how can you freak out like that?" takashi asked back calmly, grinning. the car stopped with a jerk and takashi took his arm away, got out and held his hand out to me. i grabbed it and got out of the car before takashi put his arm around my waist and pulled me close to him. emma turned to me again with a mischievous grin on her face and i sighed.

typical emma.

"who are you here with?" i asked takashi and he looked around.

"with the boys. but looks like they disappeared to leave us alone" takashi grinned confidently and pulled me along with him. as we walked, he leaned down to me and pressed his lips against my ear, "just you and me now" he whispered.

it felt like he had never left - which brought me back to the subject.

"how did you get out? did they let you go?" my voice sounded hopeful, but his answer should have been known to me in advance.

"i escaped"

"takashi, what if someone sees you?" i asked in a panic, pulling him a little away from the hustle and bustle, and when we finally found a quiet place behind a large tent, i first sat down on a large rock that was standing there and shook my head.

"couldn't you have just waited?"

takashi snorted. "for what? for them to find out what i work as? great idea, y/n!" he said sarcastically, lighting a cigarette.

"you should have let me handle it. i would have gotten you out of it."

takashi laughed. "i think i told you before that i didn't need your help, didn't i?"

"well, maybe you do need it. you're not perfect either, you know."

he patted the ashes and grinned. "maybe i am"

"you're so arrogant" i hissed and then closed my eyes to calm down. i didn't want to get upset now. when i opened my eyes again, takashi had stepped a little closer and my eyes fixed on the glimmering cigarette.

"if you're so afraid of the police, or i don't know who, why don't you get out? do something normal! you like bikes, don't you? why don't you go work in a garage? there's still a job available where my brother worked you could surely-"

takashi groaned and buried his face in his hands. "is everything okay?" i asked, putting a hand on his shoulder, but he shook it off.

"you don't understand, y/n!" he said loudly, looking at me wildly. "it's not as easy as you think, okay? you think i can drop everything, don't you? my world isn't as wholesome as yours. my thoughts don't revolve around homework in the evenings like yours. i don't have to serve people icecream, no. my boys and i do illegal shit - which can sometimes get a little out of hand"

"you could run away" i whispered.

takashi laughed. "and then what? where would i go?"

"we would definitely find a solution"

he looked at me in disbelief. "we?"

"i would go with you" i mumbled meekly.

his condescending smile appeared on his face again and i prepared to be hurt.

"i can't leave my boys hanging and what do you think you're doing? you have your whole life ahead of you. do you really want to run away with a guy with no future and spend your whole life on the run? are you really that naive? by the way, i hardly think you'd be of any use to me on the run. you'd be more of a millstone around my neck." he laughed again.

what? ouch. that definitely hurt. i stood up, grabbed my bag and walked past him without saying another word.

"y/n, wait" i heard his footsteps behind me, but i kept walking until i reached the exit and pulled out my phone to call my dad.

"hello?"

"hey dad, it's me. can you please pick me up from the funfair? now please, i'm already at the exit"

"i'm there in five minutes"

"okay, thanks" i said and hung up.

"where are you going?" takashi walked slowly towards me, his hands buried in his pants pockets, and i prayed that my father would be there soon.

"i'm going home."

"i could take you too-"

"no" i cut him off.

takashi tilted his head and looked at me scrutinizingly. "tell me, what's your problem anyway?"

i gave him a nasty glare.

"you want to know what my problem is? you're my problem! you feel like you can just throw anything at me and i'll just accept it.

i have no idea what's actually going on with you. you're hiding thousands of things from me, you're one big mystery to me. why can't you just open up and tell me everything? are you afraid i won't be able to take it? i'm not that weak. i don't know what's going on in your head, i don't know how you feel about me, i don't know what i mean to you! i've had enough!"

takashi had listened to me attentively, but he hadn't made a face. at the moment when he was about to say something, a headlight shone towards me and i recognized my father's car.

i ran straight for the vehicle and jumped in.

takashi's face was in shadow as we passed him, but his gaze burned into mine as i looked back once more.

i sank back into my seat. what had i just done?