⤷ 32

i started up, startled. "did you hear that?"

emma who crouched over me turned her head. "what?" she straightened up as my gaze scanned the forest.

"gunshots."

i gently pushed emma aside, standing up. yes, i had heard shots. three, if i counted correctly. slowly, i walked in the direction i thought the shots had come from, but a strong hand held me back.

i turned around annoyed when i felt it on my shoulder, looking at sanzu's face.

"where are you going now?" he asked, glaring at me.

"let go of me" i shook off his hand, walking on unperturbed.

"y/n!" yuzuha called after me - but i ignored her.

the leaves rustled under my feet as i trudged through the dark forest. at that moment i thought about my phone, shaking, i finally picked it up and turned on the flashlight.

what if it really was gunshot? what could i do against an armed man?

takashi. i needed him.

and with that i had a plan. i walked faster, almost running through the thicket of leaves and branches, looking for the old factory building we had left earlier.

after what felt like 20 minutes of wandering, i sat down powerlessly on a tree trunk, breathing heavily with my hands on my knees.

i had been so stupid. why had i gone alone?

it slowly become cooler when i finally stood up again and walked wearily in one direction. "crap" i muttered, lighting my way through the dark.

it was hopeless.

just as i was about to go back, i bumped my foot against something soft and warm. i backed up, startled, and shone the light where i had felt it.

my stomach turned around.

someone was lying there.

"h-hello?" i whispered softly and hesitantly took a step toward him.

no response.

the blood that was on some of the leaves glistened as the flashlight beam passed over them.

at that moment i realized that i was at the place where i had heard the shots. my hands were shaking uncontrollably as i gathered all my courage and crouched down next to the person - judging by the clothes it was a guy

i touched the guy on the leg, immediately flinched as warm blood ran down my fingers. "oh my god" i whispered and tried to stay calm, which was not easy as i felt myself about to go crazy.

i carefully felt for his arm and felt his wrist for a pulse. my hands were shaking so much that i couldn't feel if his pulse was beating or not.

"calm down, y/n" i murmured to myself, letting go of the boy's hand. with the palm of my hand i felt for his head, stroked the hair out of his eyes.

"no.." whispered, but then i shone the flashlight on his face again.

it was chifuyu.

"chifuyu!" i shouted, shaking him - but he showed no reaction. with my fingers i felt for the pulse beat on his neck. as i bent over him a soft, warm blast of air brushed my face. i was relieved to realize that he was breathing shallowly.

"chifuyu" i whispered, relieved that he was alive. with trembling hands, i dialed a number, mistyping it over and over again because i just couldn't keep my hands steady.