⤷ 37

"i love you"

the force of these words hit me so hard that i first remained rooted to the spot.

what had he just said?

"do you?" i shook my head, feeling confused, horrified and angry. i walked out of the bathroom without saying another word, knowing i would regret it later.

"later" turned out to be one o'clock the following night. i crept up the stairs to the attic.

takashi's eyes were wide open - when i entered he didn't move a bit.

"well, look who came crawling in." his voice sounded mocking.

"i'm sorry. i reacted the wrong way. please, i'm so sorry" i bit my lower lip and was relieved to see takashi begin to smile.

"come here."

i dropped the flashlight to the floor, almost ran to the big mattress and slipped under the covers to snuggle up to takashi's chest.

"tell me, don't you have a shirt?" i asked as his warm skin pressed against my cheek.

"why, does it bother you?"

"no"

"good"

"i love you," i murmured. "i know it's a poor excuse for my reaction today, but i really do love you."

his biceps tightened as he pulled me a little closer to him. "don't start saying goodbye now" he replied roughly.

we were both silent, watching the moon light up the dusty attic. i looked up into takashi's face, knowing that this could possibly be the last time i saw him.

did i ever mention how perfect he was? his lavender hair hung in his face and his skin seemed flawless in the moonlight.

"will we see each other again when i get back?"

i was afraid of what he would say, not ready to lose him.

not ready to give him up.

and especially not ready to say goodbye to him.

"if i finish him off by then, sure" he said it with such ease that i doubted he was telling me the truth.

"i'm not ready to lose you, takashi. it's only just begun"

"you're not safe with me, y/n"

"but i feel safe with you"

takashi sighed at my stubbornness, pushing me aside a little so he could turn to face me - eye to eye we lay in bed, staring at each other.

"promise me that we will see each other again"

"y/n-"

"promise me"

"okay. i promise" he put his hand on my hip, rolling his eyes.

i frowned. "how do i know you're not lying to me either?"

"you do trust me, don't you?" his fingers were now gently stroking up and down my waist, and i tried not to let it distract me.

"of course" i smiled, leaning towards him, kissing him softly. his hand now paused and rested against my hip as we kissed. my eyelashes grew wet as a tear streamed through them and ran down my cheek.

takashi disengaged when he felt the cool wetness on his upper lip. "why are you crying?"

i shook my head, snuggling a little closer to him to hide my tears. "i will miss you"