Part 84: Unstable

Ivy's mana started to spiral out of control within the hall; anybody with a decently practiced mana detection would be able to tell. 

Her magical companion's chirps started to get even more erratic and constant. 

Whether it was a sound of distress or happy beckonings, no one could tell. 

But paired with the mood, it was as if the bird was trying to distract Ivy and break her from the daze with noise. 

But even with the obnoxiously loud chirpings right by her ear, Ivy's mana didn't calm and smoothe out, but instead increased in agonizing and wayward directions. 

Even if the majority of nobles here knew at the very least a spell or two, nobody still dared to do a move on her. 

If an ignorant person tried to calm her down, it would result in either hurting themselves or Ivy, probably both. 

Nobody here was trained in any type of psychological healing, these cases where people went out of control were very rare so any form of training came very rarely. 

Not much information was written on these situations, because of the scarcity of these cases. 

I myself forgot that people gone crazy, such as the example in front of me, existed until today's clear reminder. 

"Move." 

A clear voice resounded in the hallway, and even with the loud sounds of a bird, it struck as confident. 

This aspect of the voice was noticed by everyone, and soon people were glancing at each other then the approaching figure. 

Nobody else being able to do anything, a shuffle of feet were heard to move way for the owner of the voice. 

"Molly, are you sure you want to—"

"It may be that nobody here can do it or has gone through an experience, but I should know the basics of calming her down. Add this to my paycheck, psychology treatment wasn't part of the job description." 

Sure enough, that shut the Principal and his panicked worrying up. 

I wanted to applaud Nurse Molly for her everlasting bravery, being only a side character that helped Ivy occasionally. 

Seeing that even side characters had their own personality aside from contributing to the heroine in someway, it made my heart flutter a bit. 

Knowing that Nurse Molly certainly wasn't a second-dimensioned character once you truly got to understand her, and a rather brave woman at that, no wonder the Principal fell head over heels for her. 

I ushered a small congratulations for the only character here that actually came from the world I did, as I felt some connection with him. 

It seemed that he hadn't been much wasting his life away here, and had goals too. 

Although I had just been someone watching from the side - a passerby in their lives - I honestly wished from the bottom of my heart for them to achieve their happiness. 

                                                                   ***

Back to the present, Nurse Molly's slow but calculated steps resounded in those ears around her. 

She had a fixed frown on her eyebrows in concentration, as if she was monitoring Ivy's every actions in preparations for her next actions. 

She didn't waver, but her pace slowed down the more she got closer to the brewing calamity. 

I could see a flicker of a small spell as she flickered her fingers behind her back, then directing to the person before her. 

The bird then chirped and with another cry, hit the spell back into shattered pieces of mana, most likely to defend her owner from any possible injuries. 

Molly realised how protective the bird was right now that its owner was in this state, but the animal was only relying on it's instincts but not helping at all. 

It had regarded most actions on Ivy as an attack meant to hurt. 

But we couldn't blame the bird in this situation, as Nurse Molly immediately changed tactics. 

Her original plan, and the best way to protect all the people in the ball while having the lowest chance of hurting Ivy in the process, was to calm Ivy down with a few spells and eventually knock her out if things didn't go her way. 

But with the bird hyperreacting along with her owner, which might have something to do with their contract, this way was too dangerous. 

I had full view of the scene, so I could see the slight twitch in the Nurse's eyebrow as she opened her mouth to talk. 

"Ivy, when you came to me to learn the art of healing, you were so honest and genuine in that determination I saw with my own eyes. "

Nurse Molly wasn't one to judge wrongly when true emotions came out, nor was she one to put a fake speech, even in this situation. 

I wouldn't doubt her judgement, as she was someone who could read people's emotions and real intentions very well. 

Did that mean the original Roselyn, in the body of Ivy, actually wanted to heal.......?

From the tone of the Nurse's voice, it didn't seem like she came there for corrupt purposes. 

"But is this really the path that you should walk down?" 

Ivy seemed to halt at that sentence, and the mana's spiralling of control did tone down a level. 

But the bird chirped a few more times, which seemed to make Ivy jerk once more and even more out of control than what it was before it slightly cooled down. 

Nurse Molly had confusion written over all of her face, and even I started to contemplate things. 

Most things in the world couldn't be counted off as a coincidence, especially this. 

A magical animal was no joke in terms of power and control, yet shouldn't their first priority be helping their owner? 

And even if the magical companion did fail, they should be the first to notice their own failure. 

Yet Ivy only got crazier and worse with every chirp and spell the bird gave. 

This was a hurriedly made-up theory, but in this situation, what else could you do?

What if the the bird, Ria, wasn't trying to calm her owner down?