Part 39: Transfer student

I lightly tapped my pointer finger on the desk, in a continuous pattern. Just quiet enough for nobody to notice.

I signed once more, and looked down.   

Pulling my bottle of fine ink under the desk, I screwed the lid open and dunked the tip of my finger in. 

My face scrunched up while trying to remember the simple ward I was taught when younger. How did you do it again?

I drew the first step, which was a circle, and started adorning it with runes and symbols. 

My eyebrows furrowed as I tried to squeeze the memories out, but I eventually finished it. 

Because it's really easy to mess it up and has to be completely perfect, I double checked it to see if I drew any mistakes. 

Sighing in relief, I blew on it. This was one of the easiest spell I could remember, and it came with an easy yet unnoticeable action to make the magic circle react. 

The purpose of this charm was to ward of hallucinations, but only for sight. 

It wouldn't work for the other senses, and only drew a small line between illusions and reality, meaning it was going to be a bit blurry. 

It only lasted for a few minutes, but that was long enough for me. 

I blinked once, twice, but my view didn't change a single hair.

I frowned, squinted my eyes, but nothing changed. 

Did I do the circle wrong? 

I examined it again, but all of it was right according to my memories. 

It was right, but..........

I bit my lip. 

How is this possible? Why is she here?

                                                                        ***

30 minutes ago

Chatter started to seep it's way into the class. 

I caught myself flopping into my seat, then straightened my back. 

'It's been, what, 2 weeks since I had to visit the Principal?'

I sighed, while the memories still remained like a dirty stain on my mind. 

I looked up just to see how many students had arrived and were seated at their desk. 

And to my surprise, the teacher was already here. He never arrived at this time. 

Suspicion creeped up my back, because he even did his tie properly and didn't look so drunk on coffee for once. 

Could today be a special event.......?

Before I could ask any more in my head, the door creaked open. 

A girl who had smooth, blue hair walked in. 

Pure silence flushed over the class. 

I, like the other classmates, were dazzled by her beauty. 

"Hello!" She said with a smile.

As I clutched my hand, I felt my heart skipping a beat. 

She grasped the hems of her dress, and tipped into a light, graceful curtsy. 

"My name is Adriana Galyean Royal, pleased to meet you."

My ears perked at the word 'Royal'. 

'Was she was related to Albert?'