CHAPTER FOUR

August brought on the start of school for the girls. Laura was a junior now and had been named captain of the FAMU Diamonds. She and Laila were loving school and both were dating nice young men from their school.

Savannah attended their first game, and was right there shouting for them. Laura was a very fierce captain and she pushed those fourteen girls to perform to their very best. Savannah loved hearing the crowds call out for her girl.

Savannah also enjoyed sports, she was rooting for the men on the football team just as much as she yelled for the band. It was just so exciting to witness. It made her think about the college experience she'd given up for love and sex. No, she wouldn't regret having her girls or even marry Rev. They'd been so happy and so in love then. But, she did regret staying.

Pushing aside sad thoughts, Savannah cheered when the football team scored another touchdown. It was their third in the final quarter, giving them the lead. They went on to hold that lead and win the game.

When it was time for the girls to perform, she had her camera out and was recording them. She was so proud and told everyone that those were her daughters.

"Wait, you said the captain is your daughter and another one of the diamonds?" A female said. "Were you ten when you had them?"

Savannah laughed. She'd felt so much better and she actually appreciated what she saw in the mirror now. Her eyes were smiling. She turned to the female who looked to be a student as well, soft mahogany skin and beautiful.

"Yes. Those are my babies," Savannah said proudly. "I'm a proud 39 years old." And she actually meant it.

"Thirty-nine?" The female said in pure shock. "I want to age like you. I would have said you were no more than twenty-five."

Her girl friends around here were all nodding in agreement as we waited for the crowd to clear and they could leave the sands.

"I don't even care if you don't mean that," Savannah said. "Thank you for saying it. This year, I've needed a little self esteem boost."

The female stepped down. "I'm Uniqua James." She held out a hand. "Me and my girls are seniors here at FAMU."

Savannah shook each of the females hands. They introduced themselves as Starlah Cartwright, Brandy Whitlock, and Zamira Randolph. All were majoring in a field of business with minors in a fashion field. Savannah thought they were definitely fashionable and neither had not one hair out of place.

"It is a pleasure to meet you ladies." Savannah saw her opening and began to join the crowd.

"I wonder why we've never seen you here," Brandy asked. "We always sit next to the Diamonds."

Savannah smiled. "I'm a little different now." She checked her cross shoulder bag to make sure it was secured. Being around this many people even with a lot of police everywhere was not the most comforting.

Some people were wearing masks as a result of the pandemic. A vaccine had been put out and Savannah had gotten the shot while in the hospital. But, she knew she should have been wearing a mask too. People were still dying.

"Here is my card," Uniqua said. "I think we should keep in contact. We're all into beauty, fashion and would like to use you in a line that we are putting together. You're beautiful, Savannah."

The other girls were agreeing. Savannah looked at the card. "Is this for a final project?"

"Partly," Zamira admitted. "But, we are also going to launch this line. We are serious about getting into the fashion industry and hopefully will be moving to California if this line takes off."