CHAPTER THIRTY-FOUR

"He's early!" Savannah cried the entire way to the hospital. Sure the doctor had told her that she could deliver at any time. But, in her mind, her son was supposed to stay put for a few more days. Ashe was breaking every traffic law with the help of some magical assistance to get her to the hospital since the home birth she'd wanted was out. "Ashe!" Savannah grit her teeth through another contraction. They'd started as soon as her water broke.

"We're nearly at the hospital, Little Luna. And Dae is not early. He is ready to enter the world." Ashe had the mental grapevine going letting everyone know what was happening. He came to a screeching halt at the emergency entrance but still holding Savannah back safely.

When the emergency staff came out, he had Savannah in his arms and yelling demands for his wife. This was not the way they practiced it, but it was how it was going down. Savannah was quickly placed into a room, Ashe was kicked out while she was changed and checked. Her doctor was contacted.

It seemed like an eternity before he was allowed in to be with her. He didn't need to wonder at how she was feeling because he was getting each sharp pain through their bond. It hurt like the fires of Hell. He knew having been to Hades a few times during his service period.

"What's wrong with you?" Savannah asked him. "You're sweating, Ashe."

"So are you." Ashe took a seat by her bed. "We're about to have our baby." He winced during a violent kick. Thankfully it was not a contraction.

"Oh no." Savannah would have laughed, but that would have been a bit painful considering where her son was sitting. "You're feeling all of this too?"

"Feeling what?" Ashe was such a man. "How much time do you think we have?"

Savannah rubbed her belly where a foot or knee was pushing out. "Not that long. The contractions are barely ten minutes apart despite me being only 1 cm dilated. The nurses don't think I will have time for an epidural but I told them not to bother."

Ashe shrugged. "It wouldn't work on you," he sighed. "I hate the pain you're going through."

"We're going through." Savannah took Ashe's hand as they both went through the next contraction. "See?"

A nurse entered in time to see Ashe rubbing his stomach and breathing. She looked concerned until she understood what was happening, then she smiled. "Well this is fun. Are you sure about the pain meds, Mrs. Effrain?"

Savannah nodded. "Yep. We got this!" She gritted her teeth and Ashe growled as another contraction passed. That was not ten minutes.

"Let me check you again." The nurse was concerned about how rapid things were progressing. Ashe was not told to leave this time. "Wow! You're easily at a 3 now. Yeah, you won't have time for pain meds at this pace."

After two hours, Savannah stalled at six cm and the contractions were five minutes a part. Laila and Laura arrived with Marek and Vanek bringing in the bags and plenty of balloons and flowers. Laila and Laura checked her machines to get information.

"Wow, Mom. You will be done in no time." Laila was reading the contraction history. "Way to go!"

"Uh, I don't think Mom or Ashe need that particular kind of support." Laura was looking at the intense look of pain on their faces. "Shouldn't this hurt less?"

"What makes you think that!" Savannah snapped. "It's still child birth!"

Laura backed up two steps. "Maybe we should wait outside?"

"Good idea." Laila took Vanek's hand. "We'll be on the food duty."

"Keep your eyes open," Ashe warned through his breathing.