CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE

"Mom!" Laura hugged her mother hard. "Laila said you were coming."

Savannah hugged her oldest and held tight. She could see the frustration on her face. "What's wrong with you and Charles?"

"He's talking about getting a house, marriage and wants kids like right after graduation. I don't want any of that for a few more years at least." Laura took a deep breath and looked at Ashe. "Hello Ashe! You cut your hair!"

Laila looked and screamed. "I didn't even notice." She then really looked at her mother. "Man, we are slipping. Look at Mom's hair. That color is everything on you, Mom."

"The last two years, your hair has just taken off," Laura added. "What is your secret?"

"Little stress, even with everything. And no medications in my system, I'd say. I feel great." Savannah hugged her girls again. "You two are looking gorgeous and I'm so proud of you. Laila is going to be captain next year?"

Laila grinned. "I won it fair and square."

They took seats on the sofa instead of talking in the entry way.

"You said you were coming to tell us of your plans?" Laura said.

Savannah nodded. "Ashe and I have decided to leave Florida. We haven't exactly picked where we are going yet but we are going to get going and travel until we get the house we want. He's going to go ahead and sell the garage."

Savannah's daughters nodded. "Good. Laila and I were discussing our options after she graduates. I'm staying for her senior year and we will have out Bachelors in Nursing. We're thinking of doing the traveling nursing thing."

"That sounds exciting," Savannah said. "Are you going to work in a hospital for the first year?" she asked Laura.

Laura nodded. "Yeah." She then seemed to notice the other thing different about her mother. She grabbed Savannah's hand and looked at the rings. "Oh My God! Look at this set? OMG it's beautiful."

Laila was now pulling at Savannah's hand and she smiled at Ashe. "Very good job. These go really well with mom's freaky new eyes."

Savannah laughed. "Thanks, Laila."

"So does this mean you're married?" Laura touched the wedding band. "You have on the whole set."

"No marriage license yet," Savannah said.

"Yet?" the girls said at the same time.

"We're going to get one and no we are not going to have a huge wedding. Vangie and your father would just ruin it," Savannah explained. We are going to do all of the paperwork right before Christmas."

Ashe smiled at his mate. "We were trying to get it done on Christmas, but we are going to have it done the day before."

Savannah was getting teary eyed when her girls hugged Ashe and welcomed him to the family. "I'm glad Mom isn't wasting time being all alone for whatever time people thinks it should take to get over a cheating abusive male." Laura shrugged. "She deserves happiness. Now, maybe she will get to have one more kid."

Laila smiled. "Yes! We need one more boy to balance things out."

Ashe grinned. "I'll see what we come up with?"

The heater in the apartment began to make a smell before it turned off. Laura and Laila sighed. "I don't want to call this time," Laila said. "You call." She poked her sister.

Laura groaned. "I hate calling maintenance and answering the fifty questions."

"I'll take a look at it." Ashe stood and followed the smell and found the small system.