Chapter 9 - Sadness

A/N: Welcome back! Thank you for still reading this story, everyone. It really means a lot to me.

Btw, huge thanks to @-Arisato for giving me advice and stuff for making this story. Go check him out, he makes awesome stories.

(If you're reading this, how about a shoutout in your Disciple of the Moon book...? 😏)

Back to the story...

...

After the battle with Susamaru and Yahaba, Arifu and Tanjiro could be seen looking at the sunrise as Tamayo was doing a check-up on Nezuko because her wounds don't heal as fast as other demons.

Tanjiro is now walking back to the destroyed house but couldn't find Tamayo or Yushiro.

Tanjiro: "Tamayo-san? Yushiro-san?"

Yushiro: "Over here! Over here!" he called out from the basement.

Yushiro: "Not that you have to, but come down here if you want to."

Tamayo: "Yushiro." she scolded.

Yushiro: "Just kidding."

Tamayo: "Hurry down here then, Tanjiro."

Tanjiro: "Oh, right!"

Tanjiro started to walk down the stairs but was soon followed by Arifu who stopped admiring the sunrise.

As they both reached the end of the stairs, Tanjiro peeked his head and saw Nezuko running towards him, embracing him in a hug shortly after.

Tanjiro: "Nezuko!"

Tamayo: "I moved her to this basement where the sunlight won't reach her, ahead of daybreak."

Suddenly, Nezuko let go of her brother and ran back to Tamayo.

Tanjiro: "N-Nezuko?"

Nezuko hugged Tamayo as Yushiro watched in anger.

Yushiro: "Why, you! Step away from Tamayo-sama! That's rude!" he angrily ordered.

Tamayo: "Stop it, Yushiro. I don't mind at all."

Yushiro: "Hai'!" he shouted as the big simp he is.

Arifu just watched the scene before him with a smile before a tear streaked down his cheek that didn't go unnoticed by Tanjiro.

Tanjiro: "Arifu-san, why are you crying?"

Arifu: "W-Wait- what? Oh, it's nothing. Seeing Nezuko's interaction with all of you just made me remember my family..."

Tanjiro: "If you don't mind me asking, what happened to your parents, Arifu-san?"

Arifu: "Killed by a demon, I assume. He was protecting my mother and buying me time to run..." he said with a frown.

When Nezuko sees that Arifu was sad, she let go of Tamayo and hugged Arifu as well.

Arifu: "T-Thank you, Nezuko..." he said with a smile.