Chapter 10 - (Not so) Merciless

After what happened, will Arifu be able to handle it?

...

Arifu woke up from his sleep and remembered everything that happened yesterday. His face is full with dried tear marks and his eyes were red.

He washed his face and hair and suddenly, Tori came and landed on the table.

Tori: "Arifu-sama, I'm so sorry for you lost but Oyakata-sama has an important mission for you."

Arifu nodded, signalling Tori to continue.

Tori: "There have been rumours of a Lower Moon gathering low-ranked demons to attack a village in the east tonight."

Arifu: "I see. Lead me the way." he said in a monotone voice.

...

It has been hours since Arifu departed from Mount Tsurugi and he is currently nearing the unnamed village in the east.

It was roughly around 5pm so he decided he would get something to eat first.

Arifu approached a stall and ordered a bowl of udon. After he got his food, he sat down on a nearby bench and started to eat.

After he finished eating, he started to tear up as he haves a flashback.

Flashback (3 Years ago)

Arifu has finished his training for the day as he returned to Gojo's house.

Arifu: "I'm finished, Gojo-sensei."

Gojo: "Good job. Come one, I made some udon for us."

Arifu: "Hai'."

He sat down in front of Gojo-sensei and prepared to eat.

Arifu & Gojo: "Itadakimasu."

They both started to eat and chat about pointless things and laugh throughout the evening.

Flashback End

Arifu didn't notice that tears were streaming down his cheek and they couldn't stop.

A little girl and her mother passed by. The mom was just minding her own business but the daughter noticed Arifu's quiet sniffles so she walked up to him.

Little Girl: "Are you okay, Mister?" she asked with concern.

Arifu: "I-I'm alright... Just remembered something sad..."

Little Girl: "Don't cry, Mister! Yuna is here!" she says as she wipes Arifu's tears and gives him a bright smile.

This caused Arifu to smile as well and he patted her head.

Arifu: "You're a good girl, Yuna. Where is your mom?"

Yuna: "Oh, she is over there. How can she forget about me!" she says while pouting at the mom's direction.