🐺 Paradise - Siyeon

Siyeon x Female Reader
Idol soulmate au
Status - Ongoing (1 part) ⚠️
Warnings ~ angst, mentions of a friend dying, mentions of being outed, eventual fluff

'Big Hit's first ever girl group breaks countless records with their debut music video only 24 hours after its release. It seems as if these girls have already achieved international success without even stepping foot on stage! They are set to open the Mnet Asian Music Awards in just an hour. This will be their first ever live appearance. Right now, everyone in the world is watching their screens with anticipation for these 7 powerful rookies. But, no pressure, right?'

After reading countless articles, hoping they would ease my mind, I sighed and closed out of the safari app. All that managed to do was make the pang of nerves in my chest even more prevalent. So, instead, I placed my noise-cancelling headphones over my ears, careful not to mess up my hair that the stylist had worked on for the past half an hour. Going to my Spotify, I chose a playlist and clicked shuffle, the sound of a smooth electric guitar immediately covering up the backstage clamor. Leaning back in a chair in the corner of our group's dressing room, I closed my eyes and let the soft voice of Jeremy Zucker block out all my previous worries.

"Keep your head on straight
You'll see better days
Life's a choice we make
Every day."

At times like this, music seemed to be the only thing keeping me going. There's so much conflicting noise in the world, even more so now that I'm an idol. So many things to worry about being thrown at you every second of every day: peoples' opinions, your own opinions, family, friends, love. Lately, those last two were the main source of my anxiety.

"Someone died
And my face went numb
We're all asking "why?"
Does that make us dumb?"

Ironically, right before I made my debut and achieved my dream, the very friend who encouraged me to chase it missed it by just a few days. It's funny how the universe works in such sick, twisted ways. As if everything is just one big cosmic joke. Well, at least that's the easiest perspective to have considering the thought of my best friend dying for no reason at all was slowly driving me to a dark place that I couldn't afford to be in. Not now. Not when I should be one of the happiest people on the planet. Because that's the one minor fact that those articles seemed to leave out.

"If love is the answer
What is the question?"

Maybe I see the worst in people by assuming they didn't mention my loss in the news because they think my group's debut is more important. Maybe it was a whole other reason entirely. What with idols not being allowed to date and all, tragic incidents were often avoided, or even covered up in some cases. Whether you're superstitious or not, you knew the meaning of the word 'soulmate'. Only, in our world, that meaning was much deeper... much more real.

From birth, every single person is inherently connected to another human on this planet. A birthmark was present on your wrist that acted as your only connection to your destined partner until you met. Through this you could feel their most intense emotions. When your soulmate was sad, you could sense it and feel it yourself. When they were injured, you also felt their pain. In the same sense, your mood has an impact on them as well. If you were happy, it would make them happy. No matter what you felt, you felt it together.

At first, it seems like some nice romantic fantasy. I couldn't lie and say I didn't sit up at night, rubbing my thumb over my birthmark and imagining what she looked like. Remembering the days when I was at my lowest and feeling that sudden surge of happiness emanating from the spot on my wrist. Hoping that those moments were intentional, that she was doing anything she could to make me feel better. Picturing what it would be like meeting her for the first time ever and dreaming helplessly for a lifetime of happiness together.